Skip to content
Prednizone
bpcookie posted:
Hello to the wheezers out there. Im taking Predizone for the third time in one month. I was wondering how safe it is to take it for that long?

My asthma was too awful bad yesterday, but wasnt too awful good either. I slept well until 4:00 am this morning, then had to do a breathing treatment and couldnt go back to sleep. Today, Im in bed doing nothing. If I just sit there then its not so bad, but the moment I get up for any reason, I start coughing again. Im just so afraid that if I dont move around, then my asthma will only get worse or I may develop pneumonia.

I have yet another apt. to see another Dr. tomorrow.

I hope everyone is breathing easy and hugs to those who need them.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi bp,

Sorry you are go through so much trouble with your asthma.

How often are you doing nebs? I find that if I neb every 3 - 4 hours whether I think I need it or not, I can sometimes avoid the pred. I doesn't work all the time, but most of the time.

Take care and keep us posted.
Sonya
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given... and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peasce Isaiah 9:6

bpcookie replied to sgbl88's response:
Hello Sonya, ooohhh asthma is just one of many health issues I have. The older I get, the more I fall apart.

Ive been doing the breathing treatments about 2-4 hours, depending on how Im feeling. Also I have the heat turned up, steam going in my bedroom so that it doesnt get too dry, taking Musinex, allergy pills, other meds for asthma and allergies and I have the heating pad against my chest. For some reason, the heating pad seems to help, but it could be my imagination. Ive been in bed for two days now. uuuggghhh. Thats a big problem because I have chronic neck and back pain and sitting in bed just makes it worse. I cant take my Hydrocodone for the pain because it causes breathing difficulties. I feel like I just cant win.

Thank you kindly for replying. It makes me feel like ppl care.

sgbl88 replied to bpcookie's response:
haha... I can relate. My issues are asthma and allergy related, but it seems like the older I get the worse it gets with more and more triggers I can't control.

You do have it bad. I hope you have a phone by you and are prepared to call an ambulance. If you stop getting relief from breathing treatments, call 911. Any sign that symptoms are worsening, call.

Make sure you are drinking enough water too. I hope that someone is there with you helping take care of you.

Take care and I will be praying for you.
Sonya
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given... and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peasce Isaiah 9:6

bpcookie replied to sgbl88's response:
Sonya hun, you have such a huge heart. You always seem to help everyone on this board.

Right now Im breathing some steam. I just did a breathing treatment, but it didnt help. gggggrrrr that means tonight is gonna suck!!!! My hubby is on his way home and he will take good care of me. He has always been so helpful. Im not an easy person to live with. Not because Im mean or anything, but because he has had to put up with all my health issues. Bipolar, anxiety attacks, asthma, allergies, chronic back and neck pain, low sodium, Hypoglycemia, messed up thyroid and my prolactin lvls arent right either. Poor guy.

I have a question if you dont mind. Two nights ago when I went to the ER I noticed that my chest hurt a bit, not really bad or anything. So I brushed it off thinking it was all the coughing I was doing. But today my chest hurts even more and I havent been coughing as much as I was that night. Could it just be the asthma, coughing or something else? Im so terrified that I will get pneumonia? I probably sound like a worry wort, but I cant remember my asthma ever being THIS bad.

Thanks again. You have been so very helpful

coughy16 replied to bpcookie's response:
I can tell you from experience that all the coughing can really make your chest sore. Does it feel sore like pulled muscles, worse in certain positions or when you move or cough? I would suggest talking to your doctor just to be on the safe side. If it's just sore from the cough, there is probably not much to do, but it would be safest to rule out anything else. Feel better!

Helpful Tips

excercise
since ive been doing more cardio related excercise my attacks seem to have lessoned More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center