Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fragrance Issues
jtred posted:
Does anyone know the extent to which the ADA enforces fragrance-free areas (other than the workplace) for people with asthma and migraines? It is getting impossible to go anywhere people gather!

Are there any groups working on this issue to help people become aware of the problem?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sgbl88 responded:
There is one group for Multi-Chemical Sensitivity. I don't have the link readily available. It might be in the Fragrance and Odor Issues community. I can also look it up and get it to you.

I am not that impressed with this group. They seem a little out there to me. I have extreme issues with fragrances, but this group seems to twist some research to fit their objectives. I am talking specifically about an EPA report that is inconclusive, but they use it as a rallying cry. Not that uncommon, but still not a respectable thing to do in my opinion. It seems like they are trying to get attention, which the problem does need more wide spread attention. It is just that it needs to be done in respectable ways, not scare tactics and what comes across as over reacting and exageration. If someone who deals with the issues sees the group that way, how could someone who doesn't deal with it be expected to try to come to an agreement with what they are saying? Just saying.

I would love to work with a respectable group working to educate others responsibly and compassionately to the challenges people like us deal with.

I have been to only two Sunday morning services since Thanksgiving because of odor exposures at church. I was miserable at both of them.

Take care and I would love to partener with you to see what can be found. This is a great idea.

God bless.
Sonya

bresky replied to sgbl88's response:
Hey Sonya

I do agree with you trying to get attention that way does not make them look like a serious group who is trying to assist people. I too have a huge issue with fragrences and would be interested in helping out also.

Bre

Mathchickie responded:
I agree. We need more people saying, "Hey, frequent and heavy use of fragrance can make certain people uncomfortable or even really sick." We need people to say politely, "I'm sorry, your perfume is lovely, but it's setting off my allergies, so I'll just talk to you from this side of the room." Or, "Could you please not use that spray while I'm in the bathroom?"

We don't need more people saying, "All artificial fragrances cause DEATH because they are UNNATURAL and TOXIC! How dare you poison us with that evil spray!"

And then of course there are the people who are sensitive to the odors that perfumes and cleansers are designed to cover up! So maybe there are no good answers.

sgbl88 replied to Mathchickie's response:
You do have a good point, except that people are not allergic to the odors that air freshners cover up. They are allergic to the molds that produce the odors. Propper sanitation practices will take care of that problem.

Also, a bowl of vinegar or a box of baking soda goes a long way to take odors out of the air.

We think too much alike. It must be the math teacher in us.

Sonya

MySilverLining replied to sgbl88's response:
@jtred--I don't believe the ADA addresses anything to do with common areas that people may gather, as opposed to the restricted areas r/t job-related probs.
I'm not sure if I will be labeled as trying to get attention & not respectful, but I believe there are many things that the average person really needs to have explained to them about the potential dangers of all types of fragrances--whether they are intended to cover up something unpleasant or not!

Asthma has increased by 600% since 1980! Women who stay home have a 54% higher risk of Ca than women who work outside the home. These are statistics that ought to prompt lots of research & the removal of MANY of these chemicals from use, some are already banned in Europe!

There are many other problems that are linked to chemicals in our environment, but I will stop here....

Thankfully, I have found a place to shop where the products are safer & I don't feel like I need a gas mask to clean my bathroom anymore! (I have asthma.) I wish I had found them many years ago, for my own sake & the sake of my sons & grandkids!

WESThand replied to MySilverLining's response:
1. Some people cannot detect odors that are offensive to others. Often, I can't tolerate how dried plants are preserved (odor-wise), whereas most of the population fails to detect.

2. Bathroom cleaners (?used to?) have smells mimicking fecal matter. The concept is: "this cleaner is so good that it picks up the dirt that I cannot even see." Of course, in a few seconds people habituate to the smell. So there was a smell, and I used this product, and then there is no smell -- wow, what a great cleaner. Manipulation at its best.

3. Sometimes "odor free" means that there are many more chemicals -- to neutralize the natural occurring odors of the cleaning agents. The chemicals are still there; they're just not detectable by nose.

Reminds me of an introduction to a song: What's that smell? Fish!

ScubaJudy responded:
Froedtert Hospital/The Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee has signs posted asking visitors and patients to refrain from wearing fragrances when visiting the hospital.

sgbl88 replied to ScubaJudy's response:
A lot of medical facilities do that. My allergist has her staff go through certain protocols on first contact with new patients. In addition to scheduling the apointment and getting a brief history, the staff explains the office's policy regaurding wearing fragrances to apointments there - DON'T DO IT! They explain that they have patients with fragrance triggered migraines and asthma. That is a part of the FIRST phone contact with a patient. They also have a sign on her door, a sign on the receptionist's desk, and a slide in their waiting room info TV telling people not to wear the stuff.

Maybe the doctor should start refusing to see patients for wearing fragrances to her office. lol... How well do you think that would go over? It would sure let people know that she is serious about it.

That has not stopped a patient's mom from spraying Lysol (and a lot of it) in the waiting room. Nor does it prevent patients (or their "guests") from wearing the stuff. I was standing at the receptionist's desk talking to her the other day and had to get my inhaler out because of some woman's fragrance. Then receptionist acknowledged that she smelled it tool. At the old office, I had to move to a different waiting room at least once because of people's fragrances.

The bottom line is that people who don't live with it, don't understand it. They have no comprehension of what it is like to deal with this issue. Well, and lets face it, we do live in a very self serving society in general. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part people can only see to the end of their own nose. I am really wondering right now, what is more important to people - their personal fragrances or other people around them who may suffer. Unfortunately, most of the time I think the fragrances win. Sad comentary on our society.

My two cents, again. Fragrances are my soap box. sorry.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

woobiecat responded:
Its kind of funny but some people just dont care if you cant breath They may need to ask what if this was my child or mom or dad

zarb1232 responded:
I am a teacher and we are very strict about this in the classroom. It is a part of our orientation. Some students get very upset!

KTTYHWK replied to zarb1232's response:
I'm a teacher also (high school) and I put on my syllabus that I send home that I'm allergic to strong fragrances that are in deodorants, perfumes and lotions. Lotions are the biggest problem I have in the classroom. My system also hires a cleaning service that uses a very prescribed amount of solution in the restrooms. And they usually clean with it right in the middle of the day!

woobiecat is right, though. Some people just don't care. However, I find that my kids get really scared if I have a major asthma attack and a lot of them start to be more sensitive.

50Angelia20 responded:
Boy, I am with you! I CAN'T go to weddings or funerals or concerts anymore and even going to the hospital where it's posted right outside the door that there's is NO SMOKING, people have the nerve to stand right UNDER THE SIGN and smoke! I have to quickly walk by and hold my breath or else it sets me off.

When I was in the hospital for asthma where I had to be on life support, people continually wore fragrance or in one case smelled like cigarette smoke and set me off and this was after I was off life support, but still in ICU and it also happened when I was transferred to a regular room.

When I had gotten off of life support I was breathing beautifully until all of these nurses and techs came in that had scent on. You would think that scent wouldn't be allowed in the pulmonary unit!

I think the only thing we can do is to keep complaining to let people know that there are folks like us where it is a matter of breathing or NOT. If you find out anything, please post it.

sgbl88 replied to zarb1232's response:
I don't know how I missed this, but I would really be interested in having a copy of your school's policies. I know the EPA has one, but I can't find the page that really sums in up nicely anymore. I have been trying to get my church to understand this problem for several reasons. .

First, I can't even sit through a service. I tried again tonight, but lasted less than five minutes. I am not sure if it was asthma, VCD or both, but it really doesn't matter. If all you can think about as you sit there is your breathing - what is the point of being there, let alone taking the meds I take to just try to be in the building.

Second, we had a period where the air freshners were REALLY strong. We had a child taken to the ER with an asthma attack during that period. He has a liver dsease and was just coming off pred for that, but still, the air freshners triggered a servere asthma attack for him.

Third, a news anchor in the area comes to our church. He doesn't come frequently because of the airfreshner, and has come in one door, back out another coughing and then sat in the balcony shich is supposed to be off limits seating wise.

Fourth, we have several people in the church that have odor induced migraines.

Right now I am REALLY fed up with the lack of compassion and would like to say some really choice and tacky things to the main person who "complains about the church not smelling good." Good grief, you would think someone who considers themselves a Christian would set aside their desire for some place pleasant smelling in consideration for other's people's health and ability to attend church. UGH!! Ok, I got the rant out, maybe. lol...

I would love to have a policy I could hand the leadership to prove to them that it isn't just me. A school's policy may help since we do have a satelite campus for a christian school meeting there.

One thing I have been doing lately when I enter a store or business with strong airfreshners is tell someone why I am leaving if I have the oportunity, or call the business later and tell them that I tried to do business with them but because of their air freshner, I left.

Maybe if enough people started telling businesses why they are leaving, at least a few of them would eventually get the idea and get rid of the things.

My daughter did just tell me that her and my husband go in Yankee candle whenever they are in the mall just to smell the candles. Some times I feel really guilty for depriving her of the pleasure of fragrances.

I would apreciate anything you can give me.

Thank you,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Rosefleur responded:
Can someone point me to the place on the ADA web site where they mention enforcement of fragrance-free areas in the workplace? People here at work just don't realize the seriousness of asthmatic reactions, and I'm tired of sounding like a nag. Some official, legal muscle would be very helpful for me!

Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Naturally Manage Asthma
Put two to three drops of pure peppermint oil into a hot steamy rag then cover over your nose and mouth. It definitely helps you breathe ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center