Skip to content
Do inhaled steroids cause weight gain?
misty301 posted:
My doctor put me on Asmanex almost 2 months ago. I haven't used my albuterol for 3 weeks! I am concerned about steroids though. Is it a losing battle? I began using an elliptical in the mornings and am trying to eat healthy--will I still gain weight?

I am freaking out after watching my sister who began steroids years ago and gained a ton of weight. However I am more active and eat way more veggies than she does. But I do not understand the effects of steroids. I am 5 feet tall so 5 pounds goes a long way

cwille responded:
hi,
I have been on asmanex for over 1 year, in that time i lost 22 pounds , i was trying to lose weight , i am only 5'3". I was on nutrisystem , so i don't think asmanex will make you gain weight, but i do now know prednisone will, unfortunatly I have been on and off prednisone now for about 4 months, mostly on, and i have gained 17 pounds back. I don't know much about steroids , just what the doc told me , he said that they will make you very hungry and probably gain weight, but than he said that i would lose it when i get off it ,yea right, lol. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you, good luck.

Mathchickie replied to cwille's response:
Inhaled steroids generally do NOT cause weight gain or any of the other destructive side effects of oral steroids.

Oral steroids such as Prednisone can cause severe weight gain and other bad side effects. With inhaled steroids, however, almost all the medicine stays put in the lungs and only a trace gets into the bloodstream.

mauceri1 replied to Mathchickie's response:
I have avascular necrosis, I've been on asmanex for appr. 5 years. How do you explain that?

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center