Skip to content
constant sniffing
asthmamike posted:
My daughter has asma and takes breathing treatments. She constantly sniffs and sounds stuffed up but has nothing in her nose, blowing it does nothing.

BOOSMOM007 responded:
im sorry i dont have an answer...but my son has the same thing. constant sniffing, but nothing in the nose and blowing doesnt help. being in public is becomingdifficult, especially in quiet restaurants. he no longer takes breathing treatments, but has light asthma.it is frustrating and sometimes annoying. ifeel bad for him. we've taken him to an allergist - not allergies. what do we do next? i've read tht it could be a tic?

Laura0711 responded:
Hi,
I have had the same problem. I use a nebulizer only when I'm having asthma attacks. I have also notice that I can feel post-nasal drip. Lately I have had some chest tightness and decress in my peak flows. The constant sniffing has been going on since Oct. and I don't know why or how to treat it. When I blow my nose only clear stuff comes out. I wish I knew what to do.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Laura

Laura0711 replied to Laura0711's response:
Hi
I was reading on another part of Webmd and found out that a runny nose or stuffy or sniffing is a common problem that is related to asthma because it is caused by inflammation of the airways also. The information below I pasted from the "Is your asthma under control?" a quiz I did from the asthma homepage on WebMd.

Nasal and Sinus Problems
A chronic runny or stuffy nose (rhinitis) and sinus inflammation (sinusitis) are very common conditions seen in people with asthma. In fact, asthma, rhinitis, and sinusitis are considered to be interrelated parts of the same disease. This is because all three involve inflammation of the lining of your airways and are often triggered by the same things.

Those who have a history of rhinitis and sinusitis often have more severe asthma symptoms, more asthma attacks, and worse asthma control than those who do not suffer from these conditions. Therefore, managing your rhinitis or sinusitis is important in order to keep your asthma in control.

Treatment for rhinitis and sinusitis depend on the cause but may include medications to control inflammation (such as nasal corticosteroids sprays or oral corticosteroids), medications to calm allergic reactions (such as antihistamines), and medications to fight infection (such as antibiotics). If your runny or stuffy nose is caused by allergies then treatment may also include avoiding triggers, and in some cases, getting allergy shots. You should see your health care provider to discuss the treatment that is right for you.

I hope this helps both of you.

Laura

Helpful Tips

excercise
since ive been doing more cardio related excercise my attacks seem to have lessoned More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center