Skip to content
Alternative to Albuterol? JITTERS!
JacS599 posted:
Is there an alternative to Albuterol out there? I don't use it incrediby often. It's mostly just before I'm active (as directed by my doc), but it gives me the WORST jitters, and the jitters usually last for hours. They get less as the day goes on, but I can still feel it up to 6 hours after taking it. I'm going to be playing kickball on a fun league, and also going to be getting ready to run a 5k in June, and hopefully keep running until school starts in September, and would really prefer to do my activities without feeling so shakey.

Anyone have/had the same issue that's using something else?

Mathchickie responded:
Do you take 1 puff at a time or 2? I find that 2 makes me VERY jittery, but I usually only need 1.

If that doesn't work, there is another drug, Xopenex, which works like albuterol but has fewer side effects for a lot of people. It's more expensive, though.

sgbl88 responded:
Several thoughts:

First, the more regularly you use it, the less you feel the jitters.

Second, as mathchickie mentioned, Xopenex is an option that may work better for you. Ask your doctor about other options as well.

have fun and enjoy an active safe summer.

Take care and God bles.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
I use maxair for my rescue, & it makes me much less jittery than albuterol!

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center