Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Alternative to Albuterol? JITTERS!
JacS599 posted:
Is there an alternative to Albuterol out there? I don't use it incrediby often. It's mostly just before I'm active (as directed by my doc), but it gives me the WORST jitters, and the jitters usually last for hours. They get less as the day goes on, but I can still feel it up to 6 hours after taking it. I'm going to be playing kickball on a fun league, and also going to be getting ready to run a 5k in June, and hopefully keep running until school starts in September, and would really prefer to do my activities without feeling so shakey.

Anyone have/had the same issue that's using something else?
Mathchickie responded:
Do you take 1 puff at a time or 2? I find that 2 makes me VERY jittery, but I usually only need 1.

If that doesn't work, there is another drug, Xopenex, which works like albuterol but has fewer side effects for a lot of people. It's more expensive, though.
sgbl88 responded:
Several thoughts:

First, the more regularly you use it, the less you feel the jitters.

Second, as mathchickie mentioned, Xopenex is an option that may work better for you. Ask your doctor about other options as well.

have fun and enjoy an active safe summer.

Take care and God bles.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
I use maxair for my rescue, & it makes me much less jittery than albuterol!

Helpful Tips

Sports Asthma
I Have sports related Asthma. I joined the Army and we ran A LOT! the more i ran the better i felt and less my asthma bothered me. i am no ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center