Skip to content
A rough couple days, but a good month!
Mathchickie posted:
I had a bad time during the heat wave, I'll admit. Thursday I had to run a bunch of errands, and then the bus broke down (really!) and we had to sit on the sidewalk until the next bus came along. And I was cranky and annoyed and really glad I'd used my inhaler before going out to get that bus.

Then something occurred to me. As far as I can remember, I've had about 4 bad days since Memorial Day, all related to extreme heat or particularly extreme pollen. Last summer, every day was that bad, except for the ones that were worse. I woke up with my chest tight, I went to sleep with my chest tight, and my lungs never felt normal.

Maybe it's the fact that I've FINALLY been on allergy shots long enough to reap the benefits. Maybe it's my inhaled steroids, because when used consistently for months to years, they do make the lungs less reactive. Maybe it's something else I don't even know about, or all of the above. But I've been under control for almost two months now. If I can get through ragweed season without a major flareup, then I will really be in a good place.

When I was first diagnosed, I thought I'd get that flareup under control, and then life would go on much as it had before. Apparently I was right, it just took 13 months to get there!

Now, if I can just get my stomach better, life will be 100% awesome.

coughy16 responded:
glad you're doing better! It's funny how all of a sudden you realize that you have improved, isn't it? It is probably a combination of all of the above factors. I know that for me, the more controlled I am, the less likely that I will react poorly to a brief exposure to a trigger. When I was first diagnosed, EVERYTHING triggered me. Now I can even be in a smoky place for an hour or so without being sick for a month! Its' great! Hope you continue to improve

bresky responded:
Hey Mathchickie
I am glad you are feeling so much better. Hope ragweed season goes okay for you.

Bre

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am blaming the tech difficulties on the heat wave, too!

Responded the other day and hope that you continue to feel much better!!!

Have a great weekend!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

sgbl88 responded:
Hi mathchickie,

This is great news. I am so glad you are feeling better and not as reactive. I life is good when you can do normal things without huffing and puffing all the time.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center