Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Judy- semi success
coughy16 posted:
I had a good appt with my allergist today. She liked my pft results, & the fact that my asthma has been pretty stable for quite awhile. I asked her about changing from advair to a straight inhaled steroid. She had me walk her thru my history of asthma & all the meds I had tried. She is not opposed to switching, but wants to try me on a reduced advair dose for 3 months before making the switch. So I have to see her again in November, because she wants to be good & sure that my control is still good before reducing my meds during flu season. But the upside of doing it in the winter is that it's not pollen season! (Did I tell you that she is pretty strict? But that is better than the straight no that I got from my previous allergist.) I did feel that she is finally getting to know me & is becoming comfortable that I keep myself informed & wouldn't do anything crazy like stopping my meds altogether. Let me know how your appt goes, ok?

Aqua14 responded:
Thanks, Sue. My appt is tomorrow morning so I'll update after that. Judy

Aqua14 replied to Aqua14's response:
Ok, here's an update. It's interesting, as soon as I told the allergist my continual problems with reflux he had the same idea I had -- that maybe the long acting bronchodilator in Symbicort was promoting reflux or making it worse. (The way he put it was, "maybe we're overmedicating you.")

So he actually suggested I could try a month's worth of Pulmicort (the inhaled steroid in Symbicort) to see how I did, with spirometry and NO measuring in a month to see if the lung inflammation is kept under control. I guess great minds think alike.

So we shall see how it goes. When I stopped the Symbicort over the weekend I was able to drink lemonade and eat an orange without having the irritating coughing from reflux. Maybe I can even start drinking coffee again?!? I'd be in heaven if I could do that.

Hope things go well with you, too, Sue. Take care. Judy

coughy16 replied to Aqua14's response:
that's great Judy, please keep me posted on how you do with the pulmicort. When I was first diagnosed, I was on pulmicort, and I found the inhaler really nice & easy to use. My new allergist is really nice, but she is big on following protocols to the t. I have to go back in Nov for another pft before she will decide whether I can make the switch. She gave me a written action plan, the first written one I have had. Interesting, it told me that if I was having more than mild brief symptoms, I should take 4 puffs of my rescue right away, followed by 2 puffs every 4 hours as needed. I have never been told to take 4 puffs at once before.
Good luck with the pulmicort!

sgbl88 replied to coughy16's response:
So happy for both of you. Praying the best for you Judy and Sue.\

Take care and God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Also happy for some good news and please keep it coming!

Take care of yourselves!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center