Skip to content
action plan question
coughy16 posted:
My new allergist gave me a written action plan the other day at my appt. I had never had one before, but I think that she thought that I did & she was just making a change in my inhaled steroid dose, thus the new plan. So we didn't really discuss it. Nothing was surprising to me except it said when my symptoms start to increase, I should take 4 puffs of rescue & if my symptoms are not completely gone after 20 minutes, I should repeat. This just seemed a little extreme to me, I have never been told to take more than 2 puffs at a time. And I could understand it it was talking about severe symptoms, but this was in the first step of asthma symptoms worsening. I am going to ask about it when I go in in a couple of weeks for my shots, but I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar action plan?

abbymay16 responded:
Sue,

I don't think you are taking one of the newly formulated albuterol inhalers...you are taking maxiir right?? I say this because many of the docs are now finding it takes 4 puffs of this HFA formulas to give any kind of relief even with normal use, so its seems to be more of the norm to tell you to use 4 vs the 2 we are used to.

I was always told 2 puffs of albuterol (the old formula) and repeat in 20 minutes. If no relief do this again...if at the end of an hour the lungs are not open its time to see the doc/ER.

Maybe that is why the change in dosage?? Just a thought.

Mattie
Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto (live well, love much, laugh often)

sgbl88 replied to abbymay16's response:
Hi Sue,

According to my action plan, a dose is four puffs. I have only used HFA with any success. I had two generic cfa canisters, but I avoided using them because they made me really sick. Actually, for severe cough, inability to complete sentences, or turning blue and before heading to the ER my daughter and I are both to take 6 puffs avery 20 minutes for and hour. If that doesn't work, then head to the ER. Now I neb if I am having symptoms.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
thanks everyone. Mattie, you're right I am taking maxair. Sonya, I also have been unable to use the old formula inhalers,they irritated my lungs to the point of increasing instead of decreasing my synptoms as well. I haven't tried the hfa's though because I have been happy with my maxair.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center