Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Starting with a new dr?
sgbl88 posted:
I will be seeing a new doctor sometime this fall. I already have my choice made (our Dr. M).

I am a little concerned that he will not accept me with all my challenges though. I am planning to consult with him before I actually leave my current dr. What do you all think? I also plan on having a last apointment with my doctor and telling her precisely why I am chosing to see another dr.

I love my dr as far as her medical abilities go. She does listen well and shows compassion for medical problems. She has enabled me to have a normal life again. As far as the medical side of things, she is amazing!!!

I am leaving her because she is keeping a bully on staff - bullies patients and employees. The person has actually yelled at me over a problem they created. After being in the office at least once a week for about 3 1/2 years, I know what goes on there. I have seen at least 10 bussiness office staff come and go because of the bully in under 2 years - extremely high turnover rate = instability and bad management. There are only 7 people in the office now.

So do any of you have suggestions as to questions to ask, mistakes you have made so I can avoid them?... I know several of you have had to change drs for various reasons, so I really would like your thoughts on how to handle the transition to a new doc and how to make it go more smoothly. Whatever you think may be helpful.

Thanks!!
God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 responded:
It sounds like a shame that you have to leave this one, since she has helped so much. Have you talked to her about the bully? And let her know that if it keeps up you will have to find another dr even though you hate to do it? If you haven't complained to her, I would try that first. It is not out of the realm of possibility that she is unaware of how bad it is. The person may behave appropriately when she is around. I would tell her exactly how the person treats you & which of the other staff they mistreat & how. That could prompt her to talk to the staff who are being bullied & they may be more inclined to speak up if asked directly about it. Of course if everyone has told her & she still keeps the person on, that is different. But it is amazing how many times that stuff goes on & no one tells the person in charge. Especially in this economy.

As far as switching, I recently switched, not by my choice but due to my allergist's retiring. I really like the new one, but I still had to go back to that whole time of helping her understand my asthma and me. I got really bad shortly after I switched to her, & I made a point to wait to be seen by her (she wasn't in the day I called for the appt) so that she could see how I was when I was sick. I was open to her trying things a little differently, but didn't hesitate to let her know when something didn't work right. In my last appt earlier this month, she asked me a lot of questions about my asthma history, all the meds I had used in the past & their results etc etc. I think we are starting to reach the point where she gets me & trusts me to know what I need. I think that anytime you switch drs with a chronic condition, there is a pretty long learning curve for both the dr & the patient. You really have to step back & start over, the medical records don't tell the whole story. If you are determined to switch, you might try scheduling an extra long appt with the new dr so that you guys will have plenty of time to talk & go over your history. This will also give you a better sense of his attitude, his philosophy about treatment and whether you feel you will be able to work well with him. Good luck to you Sonya!

sgbl88 replied to coughy16's response:
Thanks for the thoughts.

I wrote the doctor a lengthy letter after the bully yelled at me. I detailed the unproffessional behavior of the bully that set up the problem she yelled at me for getting upset over. I also told the doctor about other things I had witnessed in the office that told me it was normal behavior for the bully.

It is time for me to make the switch. I thought seriously about making the switch after the bully yelled at me. Then I realized that if I did, it would set back treatment. We were planning my aspirin treatment. I had had to cancel it once because I had gotten sick. I didn't want to wait a year or more waiting for a new doc to get to that point. Kind of like you said. lol I wanted that done. That is the only reason I have waited until now.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with changing doctors. I will definitely use your info as I make the change.

God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi Sonya,

I'm glad that you are no longer going to be harassed by this person and that you are bringing it to the doctor's attention. Since you and your previous doctor do have a good relationship, why not ask her to help you in the transition. This is definitely not her first experience, I'm sure. Maybe ask her what really helps her when she gets new patients with a long history of asthma. You could write out your history and notes that you plan on discussing with the new doctor and take them in at your last appointment, so she can give you some more ideas and advice.

Hopefully it will help that Dr. M has some of your background, if you do end up seeing him in the end. My fingers and toes are crossed for you!

Have a great weekend! (TGIF!!!)
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

sgbl88 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Amelia,

I will definitely take your advice and have a list of things to discus. I will definitely be asking if he thinks he can handle my unique challenges.

I want to be very clear about what he will be taking on. Hopefully he will remember a some of my history at least.

Things have been MUCH better since the aspirin treatment though. I decided that atrovent neb was causing chronic laryngitis (about 5 weeks), so I quit taking that. My doc thinks it was Dulera, so she put me on a half dose of that. It has been over a week with those changes, and I am feeling great still. So pleased!!!!! And I am getting my voice back!

God b less.
Sonya

That is such great news, Sonya!!

It really is amazing to "hear" the difference in your tone, since the aspirin treatment and I just hope that things keep looking up and up for you. You DEFINITELY deserve it!!

Take care of yourself and do let us know any new news and if the community can be of some help.

(((hugs)))
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

bresky replied to sgbl88's response:
Hey I am glad you are able to change doctors and that things continue to go well since the asprin desenzitizing. I am sure things will go well, and I feel bad that this old dr didn't listen to you
Bre

sgbl88 responded:
I finally was able to schedule my apt with Dr. M. I will meet him next Wednesday at 8. Then my Xolair shot is at 10 with my old dr. We will see.

Have an amazingly great day!!!

God bless.

Sonay

sgbl88 replied to sgbl88's response:
Update - The apointment with Dr. M. went very well. I will be using up my current serum vial. Then I will transfer my Xolair deliveries over to his office. Then I will have to break ties with my old doctor. After that, we will schedule new testing and everything.

We are pretty much on the same page. I would really like to get off some meds, but I understand and agree with his reasons for not changing them for a while. We will be reducing doses of some, but not eliminating any for a while.

One of my old doctor's former RMA's works at the new office. I hope she doesn't say anything to anyone at the old office. I will let them know when I am ready.

Have a great weekend everyone.

God bless,

Sonya

deluxehd replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi Sonya,

Glad to hear your appt went well. I pray that it all works out and that you are able to reduce meds and maybe eventually get off some of them.

Debbie

Yay for the good appointment and my fingers are crossed that the treatment goes well! Don't worry about the RMA, whatever happens, you had good reasons for the decision that you made. You have to look out for you!

Have a great weekend, too.
Amelia

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center