Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update on stopping Symbicort due to reflux
Aqua14 posted:
All,

I thought I would post as an FYI about my allergist appointment this morning. It was a month ago that I switched from Symbicort to Pulmicort in an effort to reduce my extremely annoying reflux which was getting worse and worse. During the month I have noted a consistent and gradual reduction in reflux symtoms, to the point where I routinely break the GERD "rules" and it does not affect me. (Example - I ate some carrots before bed last night.) And I did not seem to be experiencing worse asthma symptoms, despite it being mold season here (mold being my worst asthma trigger).

The results of the spirometry and FeNO tests this morning showed no increase in lung inflammation or restricted breathing due to the lack of the long acting bronchodilator in the Symbicort. Thus, I can remain on the Pulmicort to control my asthma.

I am so happy!! And my voice is back, too.

Once again, working with my allergist has led to positive results. I'm so thankful to have found him.

Happy breathing to everyone! Judy

coughy16 responded:
That's great news Judy!!! Now I just have to wait til November to see if I can try it too. It is wonderful that the reflux is much improved & the lung function is holding it's own. Of course, eliminating the reflux might do as much good as the bronchodilator did, so maybe it's a wash. Ha ha, or at least maybe that's what I should tell my dr. Stay well

Mathchickie replied to coughy16's response:
Coughy, that's exactly why I will never go back on the LABAs, no matter how severe my asthma becomes. Sure, Symbicort feels great at first, but it triggers the reflux so badly I just wind up having more asthma symptoms in the end.

To be fair, some people tolerate LABAs fine. But not everyone, and it's an important side effect to watch out for.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center