Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doing better and feeling great!
deluxehd posted:
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted. Some of you may remember me and my story. I developed severe asthma/allergies 3+ yrs ago and have been struggling for good control. I had started to have problems with all my meds besides.

I saw a tv show on MTV called "I'm Allergic to Everything" that featured a young lady with idiopathic anaphylaxis from food/additives. She chose alternative medicine and I decided to give it a try. I also know that it may not be for everyone and all may not agree, but it has made of world of difference for me!

Treatment involves: laser treatment to desensitize me to my food/enviroment allergen/sensitivities, chiropractic, acupuncture and kinesiology. I have not used any medications (rescue/maintenance) since August 9, 2011. I have started to add foods back into my diet with great success. I have not felt this good in over 3 yrs. I was able to attend two parties over this past weekend with not problems.

I don't know if it is appropriate to post the dr's name or facility, so if anyone would like more information please e-mail me @ debneric@ptd.net .

I wanted to share my excitement and if I can help 1 person by posting this, it is well worth it.
Debbie

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm so happy for you, Debbie!

I definitely understand how you would want to post your doctor's name and facility after such great results, but WebMD does not allow sharing such information for a number of reasons such as advertising, protecting your personal information as well as the medical professionals', etc.

I hope that you enjoy your weekend and continue to see progress! Please keep us posted.

Take care!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

sgbl88 responded:
I am so very happy for you, Debbie.

I really do pray that things continue to improve.

Keep us posted and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
I'm glad you are doing better. I've also tried alternative medicine in combination with traditional medicine. Basically, the approach emphasized lessening exposures to irritants across the board-including alternatives for cleaning (ie, baking soda instead of oven cleaner), using plants that NASA studies indicate absorb indoor air pollutants, and eating a lot of high water content food, like raw organically grown fruits and veggies. It's design was to use daily choices to aid in getting rid of toxins. It's just something I experimented with, as it couldn't hurt. It did help, though it did not cure the asthma. I went 18 months without any prednisone and also lost about 50 pounds. It's hard, though, to keep up the discipline. It also included a lot of physical activity, including things like hiking once a week, which couldn't hurt, and in fact the cardiologist said cardiovascular exercise was recommended to help strengthen the heart so it could better compensate for decreased lung function.

It makes sense that posting a specific practitioner's name would not be in accordance to the guidelines, in order to prevent advertising. But, I'm happy for you.

deluxehd replied to amcate's response:
Thank you so much Amelia, Sonya and Amcate.

Amcate,

Prior to starting alternative medicine, I had already made our home scent free. Have an air purifier, encased the mattress, box spring and pillows. No carpets.I didn't have much of a variety of foods that I could eat without having problems with my breathing. Now that I am doing better and adding foods I have more of a variety. Most are organic - fruits, vegetables and meats. It does take a lot of work and time in the kitchen and preparing shopping lists. I am still adjusting to all this. I have recently started using my Airofit machine more even though it is only 10-15 minutes at a time.

I'm glad you also had success with this type of treatment.

Debbie

amcate replied to deluxehd's response:
I wish to clarify that the type of alternative health I was using is controversial in some aspects. I only brought up the more commonly accepted aspects of it. Alternative health comes in many different flavors and perspectives. I was using an approach that does not rely on herbal remedies or pills, as I don't know how they interact with the medicines. Most areas where there is controversy are issues that a person would not suffer harm, and relate to philosophical issues or theorectical issues. In essence, what I was using is a form of detoxification and increasing the overall level of energy available to the system. It recognizes explicitly a connection between the mind and body. I only used the aspects of it that were considered safe without consulting an expert. I'm fine with western medicine, but use other things also to try to decrease the reliance on drugs. Sometimes medical doctors consider the approach I know to be quackery, though. I just use what seem to help in a particular situation, sometimes western medicine, sometimes another philosophy.

As it focuses a lot on lifestyle in various aspects, that's where the discipline comes in. Food and food choices are part of it, but so are many other things.

Glad you found something that seems to help you.

deluxehd replied to amcate's response:
amcate,

I certainly understand what you are saying and agree it can come in many different forms. I do not use herbal medicine. I am trying to use allergy free suplements given by my practitioner. It is a trial and error. It definitely is a lifestyle change and takes some getting used to. I am thankful that it is working for me and I am not relying on prescribed medications. We have hit a few bumps recently but still doing well. No matter what kind of treatment you use, there are set backs.

Hope you are doing well.
Debbie

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center