Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Xolair and Donating Blood?
Anon_24084 posted:
I am on xolair for severe asthma, and am feeling unbelievably better, i would recommend it to anyone struggling with persistent asthma.

I want to donate blood at my school blodd drive this year since im "healthy" enough to do it. Is there any complications due to this or any of the following drugs?

Xolair
Symbicort
Albuteral

Thanks!

Take the Poll

Did you take xolair and did you find it helped you?
  • No i didnt take xolair
  • yes i took it, with no change
  • yes, it was a big change!
vote
View Poll Results

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

That is wonderful! It is always nice to read of people's improvement. Xolair has been so-so for me. We don't really know if it has helped me because I had an underliing lung disease that had to be controlled first.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

abbymay16 responded:
You should be able to check with the local blood bank to find our if any of your meds will prevent you from donating.

As far as the xolair being a complication to donating I do not know...maybe check with your doctor or local pharmacists.

Good luck

Mattie

Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto

(live well, love much, laugh often)

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael H Land, MD replied to abbymay16's response:
Hi Anan, Sonya, and Mattie,

I contacted the American Red Cross yesterday and specifically asked if Xolair (Omalizumab) was a contraindication for blood donation. Here is the reply I received, below. It looks like you are clear to go. I think it's a great thing to be a blood donor, as so many folks can receive benefit from your donation.

Have a great week!
Michael

Dear Michael Land

Thank you for contacting the American Red Cross. We appreciate your time and willingness to keep our blood supply at a safe level by wanting to donate at one of our collection sites. In regards to your question about eligibility the donor will be not be deferred based on this information you have given us as well as by our guidelines and regulations. As long as the donor is feeling healthy and well at the time of donation.

Thank you so much for your willingness to donate. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us by replying back to this email or calling 1-866-236-3276. Have a great day and once again thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Cheronda Battle
DCSC Eligibility

American Red Cross, DCSC
9013 J-Perimeter Woods Drive
Charlotte, NC 28216

sgbl88 replied to Michael H Land, MD's response:
I didn't think Xolair would keep someone from donating blood.

Unfortuately, I have been told I can't give blood because of my AERD aspirin therapy. I would rather breathe than give blood.

Thanks for the info though. It is good to know that Xolair will not stop someone from donating blood.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Anon_24084 replied to Michael H Land, MD's response:
thank you!

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center