Skip to content
tubes in my ears
An_240549 posted:
I recently had another set of tubes placed in my ears. It seems to be a part of my maintenance to keep the asthma under control. Part of it is that when I got pain from the ear pressure, I would have added stress which ended up as an asthma flair up and my immunity would go down and i would end up with a cold or virus. Now that I have the tubes in, I have much better control of the asthma, and I can hear so well. I am wondering if I am the only adult that has tubes in my ears, and has anyone else had ear issues that affected asthma control.

Take the Poll

do ear infections happen more in people with asthma?
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

I had tubes that fell out in March. I developed ETD in October 2 years ago, we went on vacation to Walt Lake City, Utah. I started antibiotics the day we left for the trip, but my ears did not equalize presure on the flight home. After two weeks of pain and retracted ear drums I was referred to an ENT and eventually had tube put in. They helped the ETD, but had no effect on my asthma.

I also have an adult friend that keeps tubes in her ears.

I hope that helps you.

God bless,

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
I've had trouble with middle ear infections in the past. They were treated with antibiotics, and responded well. The sinuses got a CT scan, and then a regimen was put into place to help the sinuses. Once the sinuses got help, the middle ear infections stopped.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi An,

I'm sorry for all that you have been through, but happy to hear that the tubes are giving you some relief!

According to our WebMD Ear Infection Overview , "In recent years, scientists have identified the characteristics of people most likely to suffer recurrent middle ear infections." Among the list is, "people with poor or damaged immune systems or chronic respiratory diseases such as cystic fibrosis and asthma."

Check out the article for more information as well as this Ear Infections Linked to Asthma article to learn more about the correlation.

Take care!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

rellis7415 replied to amcate's response:
what was the regimen that was put in place? This sounds like my problem.

grandmother625 responded:
I have tubes in my ears. I have asthma, copd, and sinusitis. Without the tubes I get so much drainage I cannot hear. I don't get ear infections but my ears itch a lot.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center