Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Asthma reactions to dogs
floridamom5 posted:
Does anyone get asthma reactions to dogs, even hypoallergenic ones? By reactions I mean tightness in chest and small coughs.
Has any medication helped for these reactions? I have tried Zyrtec and Nasonex, but they don't seem to help very much.
I am not usually asthmatic, but I think this is allergy-induced asthma.
Thanks for any suggestions.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

In all honesty, there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog or cat. The proteins that triger the allergic reactions are in the animal's saliva and urine. A dog with less hair may not hold as much of the saliva as other dogs, but they still have it.

It could also be pollens that collects on the doge when they are outside.

It sounds like the best thing you can do is practice avoidance.

Take care and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Aqua14 responded:
I'm allergic to dogs, and used to get asthma symptoms when around the bigger dogs. (I don't any more, because I've been on allergy shots for 6 years which are working well.)

Your suspicion that your symptoms are allergic asthma is probably a good one. Talk to your doctor about this -- an albuterol (or similar short-acting bronchodilator) will help ease the tightness and coughing of this kind of mild asthma attack. Unless your symptoms happen very frequently (such as if you live in a household with a dog), you probably don't need an asthma controller medication, but of course your doctor will know best.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

floridamom5 replied to Aqua14's response:
Thanks so much for the reply. I brought a puppy into the household and unfortunately have the allergic asthma symptoms all the time. When I leave the house, I feel better. I went to an allergist today who gave me an inhaler to try, but it doesn't help much. He said my breathing had gone down to 75% and anything under 80 is not good. Needless to say, I now have the tragic task of returning a puppy that we have all grown to love in less than a week. Basically the allergist convinced me that I cannot live with a dog, even a hypoallergenic one. I hope my kids can forgive me one day!

Mathchickie replied to floridamom5's response:
I'm sorry you can't keep the dog! But if it's affecting you that much in such a short time, it's probably the best thing all around. You'll need to clean the house to remove dog dander, also.

Aqua14 replied to floridamom5's response:
That's sad. But if your breathing is affected to that extent, you definitely need to get rid of the puppy. Asthma is nothing to mess with, and if you keep the puppy, when he/she grows into an adult you'll have even more problems, since adults throw off more dander than the puppies.

However, if you really want your kids to have a dog someday and you have 3-5 years to plan for it, consider allergy shots, which may be able to reduce your sensitivity to dog dander such that you can tolerate a dog in the household (maybe a smaller dog that doesn't throw off as much dander). As I said, in my case the shots have worked wonderfully and reduced my asthma symptoms triggered by all allergens (except mold, which still affects me).

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

floridamom5 replied to Aqua14's response:
Thank you to all who replied to my question. Sadly, I returned the puppy today. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael H Land, MD replied to floridamom5's response:
Dear floridamom5, Judy, and Sonya,

Thanks for your excellent input Judy and Sonya. I completely agree that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic pet. Unfortunately, for a lot of folks like floridamom, they will have significant symptoms when exposed to (or living with) a pet. Avoiding the allergic cause is the single BEST way to reduce allergen triggered symptoms. However, the possibility of benefit from allergy shots (allergen immunotherapy) is real and if you are committed to this, you could potentially be able to one day tolerate the exposure. It is always difficult to face the possibility that a family member (pet) could be the cause of significant health problems, but this therapy could help a lot. I'm sorry you had to return your pet, but at least you can breathe now. I'd discuss this possible option with your allergist. I'm sure they'd work with you on developing a good plan.

Good Luck!
ML

floridamom5 replied to Michael H Land, MD's response:
Thank you for the reply Dr. Land. I appreciate the input.

CO_Jim responded:
You might try a UVAIRx machine. They have had good results with allergy issues. They are used in certain medical and vererinary applications. The website is www.uvairx.com .

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center