Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mold remediation and asthma
jyoung105 posted:
I was wondering if someone can tell me, even though I am not in the exact area they will be doing mold remediation at my work, I am close enough to it that my asthma and bronchitus has started up again after not being treated for 10 years. According to the remediation expert he says I will be fine since they will be putting up plastic over the door and air scrubbers in our area while they work. Is this true or should I not be in the building while this is taking place?

Aqua14 responded:
If it were me, knowing what mold exposure does to my asthma, I'd stay away from work while they were doing the remediation work.

The plastic won't have any effect, and who knows what the air scrubbers are. For example, are they HEPA air cleaners? I bet not. And are they big enough or numerous enough for the area to be cleaned? Maybe not.

Folks who don't have asthma tend to minimize things and it sounds like that's what this expert is doing. If he in fact had asthma triggered by mold and gave you reassurances, then I might tend to believe him, but otherwise it's not worth taking the chance of triggering a major attack, especially seeing as you're already having symptoms and have been untreated for some time.

If you absolutely have to go to work, then wearing an N95 rated mask while in the building would certainly help. Your employer should make reasonable accommodation for your asthma under federal law.

Hope my 2 cents' worth helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

jyoung105 replied to Aqua14's response:
Thank you so much Judy for your input. I will take the mask into serious consideration. They are using what they call an air scrubber which is very large but they still haven't started the remediation process. I am just doing what I can to get through. I actually took a sick day yesterday and one other girl took one the day before.

Thanks again!
Jenn

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center