Skip to content
Asthma/COPD, Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia, GERD and Sympathetic Nervous System response
TooManyProblems1 posted:
I was diagnosed with Asthma 7 years ago. I'm 33 now. I think I got it from smoking when I was younger and then from painting my basement with harsh chemicals, so it might be COPD.

Whenever I take Albuterol or Xopanex my pulse rate goes up to 150 bpm and stays above 105 bpm for days. I just went to the ER last Saturday for my 9th Asthma attack ever. They gave me everything (Xoponex, Prednisone, then IV Prednisone, then alburerol with atrovent, then back to Xoponex). I am having awful Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. I also have chest weakness and tenderness in the sternum area and btwn the chest and shoulders. I feel like I gave reflux too or an Ulcer and that make my breathing worse especially at night. It's been 5 days since I'm out of the hospital. I'm very exercise intolerant, meaning it spikes my hart rate and make my breathing worse.

My Dr ordered me to step down the Prednisone every two days starting at 40mg and stepping down to 10mg less each day until I get to 2 days of 10mg and then stop. I also take my Asthmanex 2 times a day 2 inhales each time. Usually Asthmanex is all I needed to feel better, but now it doesn't feel like it's working

Why am I so hypersensitive to these medications that my IST last so long? Do you think the GERD is making my breathing worse? For the most part I get attacks if I'm very tired, very hot, or exercise. I never get it with stress, but not being able to breath can cause me to be anxious.

Do you think there is a connection between our Adrenals or Sympathetic or Automatic Nervous Sympoms. Albterol and Xoponex are drugs that directly affect them?

Take the Poll

Do you think there is a connection between our Adrenals or Sympathetic or Automatic Nervous Sympoms. Albterol and Xoponex are drugs that directly affect them?
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

Mathchickie responded:
Yikes, I'm really sorry you are in such a situation!

Albuterol and Xopenex can both cause tachycardia. For many people, the Xopenex affects heart rate less than albuterol, but it could still be affecting you.

Yes, reflux could worsen breathing.

I think you and your doctor need to sit down and work out the whole picture, because it is complicated. For now, stay away from your asthma triggers.

TooManyProblems1 replied to Mathchickie's response:
Thanks you!

Unfortunately I was laid off because of my Athma attacks at the beginning of the year and now I have no insurance, so I don't have a Dr.

Last night I had the worse heartburn pain. The pain was so bad I was shivering and it went through to my upper back and neck. I couldn't sleep, but luckily I had Prilosec OTC and took at 4am, it helped after about 2 hours very slightly. I'm thinking of taking Zantac 75 later today and possibly more Prilosec.

I'm worried about the prednisone lowering my immune system and the warning about pneumonia with Prilosec OTC. Especially if I have to go back to the ER from pain..

Very nervous right now..

sgbl88 replied to TooManyProblems1's response:
I understand your insurance problems. However, a doctor's office visit is cheaper than an ER visit. Also, a doctor will usually get you samples and possibly help you find manufacturer assistance programs to get your medication at a greatly discounted price, often free.

There are natural things you cana do to help with your reflux. First, be sure to take pred with food. Look up the reflux diet. Avoiding certain reflux causing foods can greatly reduce reflux and its symptoms. Some people find that raising the head of their bed about 6 inches helps to reduce symptoms. Also, don't eat within 4 hours of going to bed.

It sounds like you may have taken a lot of antibiotics in the past. Antibiotics kill the necessary digestive bacteria. Not having the propper balance of digestive bacteria can also cause reflux. I have found that taking a good probiotic is extremely beneficial. I take a double dose when my reflux flares up.

I hope you find some of those things helpful.

Take care and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

TooManyProblems1 replied to sgbl88's response:
Thanks for the advice! I started taking Prilosec in the in the morning and after 3 days it started feeling better. Then I added Zantec at night before dinner and they both seem to be helping tremendously. I also stopped eating acidic food like tomatoes (which I love), orange juice (which is my vitamin C every morning), sugary foods and fried foods. I lost a little weight but it's worth it to not feel that type of pain... I also started taking 1 digestive enzyme before cooked foods and 1 probiotic every day.

I should be getting a special NJ Protect insurance in a few weeks, so I scheduled my gastro Dr already..

Also I think my IST might be POTS. I need to see a cardiologist ASAP. And I need a good Pulmonologist... And I'm think of seeing and Endocrinologist or Rheumatologist to test for some systemic things...

Thanks!

Martha425 responded:
Yuck! I don't know that I have any answers, but I can really relate--I had SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) a few months ago and my heart rate was over 220, in the midst of an asthma exacerbation. I was taking a decongestant for my allergies, prednisone, and a fair amount of Xopenex along with my regular controller meds. I'm not supposed to take decongestants anymore as a result--the docs thought that might have led to or at least contributed to the SVT. I had a lot of problems with heartburn and now have the GERD diagnosis too. Nexium is helping that a lot, and I'm not waking up near as much with trouble breathing. I'm on cardizem to try to regulate my heart rate, which had not had any problems before.

My docs have said that the albuterol can definitely make you jittery and boost the heart rate, and while Xopenex is supposed to have less of that effect, it still can (and does for me, too). The prednisone makes me jittery too. I don't necessarily feel anxious, but my hands shake and I feel like I talk really fast, when I can breathe. My pulse was 120 the other night and I hadn't done anything stressful or exercise related, but my asthma is flared and I'm on a lot of pred and Xopenex again. Definitely not being able to breathe will make you anxious, but I don't think it's all in your head (or mine). Again, I don't have any answers really, but I understand the frustrations!! I hope you get to breathing easier soon.

kas612 replied to TooManyProblems1's response:
You also want to be careful about taking to many heart burn medications for the same reasons as taking to many anti-biotics. They significantly reduce your bodies ability to fight off infections like MRSA and C-DIFF which is commonly contracted in hospitals. In fact, the majority of people who contract these infections are on heart burn medications.

TooManyProblems1 replied to kas612's response:
I'm aware that they lower your immune system but I had no choice.

I has back in the hospital last week, but was off the prilosec for 3 days, just Zantec at night.

The high dose of prednisone was causing the GERD now I only take 5mg.

I also have an update. I don't have IST I was diagnosed last week with POTS posteral Orthostatic tachycardia syndrom and Asthma. But I want to get my asthma check out because this all started after I inhaled toxic paint so I want to check for cancer and ILD Interstitial ling disease.

TooManyProblems1 replied to Martha425's response:
Hi Martha, I have found out recently that I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). Certain Meds called Sympathomimetic drugs like albuterol and even prednisone or coffee make the heart race even more. A lot of people with POTS have shortness of breath. I believe my POTS triggers my Asthma. The simple way to test if you have POTS is get an Oximeter (it goes on your finger and tells u oxygen levels and pulse and its about $50), then take your pulse laying completely flat after 3-5 minutes, then take it sitting up for 3-5 minutes and then take it standing our walking around the room slowly. A POTS person's heart rate will got up more than 30 bpm from laying down to standing. For example mine goes from 90 laying, to 118 sitting, to 135 standing, all the time. POTS has tons of symptoms besides just the heart rate but the heart rate is the sign if someone has it. Dinet.org is a great resource. The problem is most meds for POTS are dangerous for Asthma, like Beta-Blockers. My major issue is my breathing and after a POTS/Asthma attack I'm extremely fatigued, with chest weakness and my body is very intolerant of movement, stress, temperature. And most POTS people are very dehydrated. I've started drinking 1 gallon of water a day, it helps even with the breathing. What asthma meds are you taking? I started Singular, but read on a different post that you are using another one. Is that working better? I've heard of Zyflow but heard its expensive. There is also a Med that would be perfect for the heart without affecting the lungs but it's only in Europe for some reason. Any way we could talk beside here, sound like we are in the same boat. I might try to get disability soon, it's hard to work like this.

Martha425 replied to TooManyProblems1's response:
I'll have to look into the POTS. I see the cardiologist again this week. That sounds like a lot of what I deal with too. I also feel completely exhausted between the asthma attacks and the heart rate, and doing something as simple as sitting up is enough to make it hard to breathe again and my heart beat hard and fast. I don't know if mine fluctuates that consistently, but definitely when my asthma is acting up. It only started really going weird this summer.

I'm not really sure yet if the Zyflo is working better or not than the Singulair--it is four pills a day versus one, which is kind of annoying. Costwise, I found a coupon thing online from the pharmaceutical company, so that isn't as bad at least. I've been on it for a couple months now, but I'm still flaring a lot and still out of control. All my meds were switched around the same time. I'm also on Dulera and QVar for the asthma, along with all the other meds.

It is very hard to work this way--good luck with Disability. I totally understand that. From what I hear, it seems like they deny everyone the first time through, so stay strong and persistent!! Hope you get to feeling better soon! It really sucks not feeling in control of your body or your breathing--and if you can't breathe, you can't do much else.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome!

As your member name states, you do have a lot going on, I'm so sorry to hear about it all.

You really need to talk to the doc about this as he knows your health history. Or take your medical file and get a second opinion. Someone you can talk to about the meds you are taking and perhaps find a remedy that works! You may want to copy or print your post, it might help you and the doc sort things out. I hope others jump in and support you as well here, but bottom line is you need to follow up with a doc. I'm glad you found us and I hope you get some relief soon.
Please continue to check in and share.

Chrissy
WebMD Community Staff

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center