Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My boss doesn't understand
Martha425 posted:
Hi all, I am new to this board, but I am willing to bet that someone out there has had or still has the problem that I've been dealing with. I was diagnosed with asthma very early in life, having no recollection of NOT having to take medication daily. Until about 3 years ago, my asthma was really well controlled with low dose flovent daily and albuterol for emergencies, and had been for over 10 years. I cannot figure out what happened or changed, but the past three years have been, well, challenging, to say the least. I've been through complete overhauls to my medications on a couple occasions, a handful of ER visits, a whole lot of prednisone, and a few days in-patient to get straightened back out, and many, many days where I was told by my doctor to stay home and take it easy. I was referred to a pulmonologist by my primary, and that doctor sent me to another pulmonologist at a larger research hospital because my case was "too complicated" (not what you want to hear!). While I have explained this to my employer and provided documentation from my doc, my boss does not seem to understand. She tells me if it is "JUST" my asthma, I shouldn't need to rest, but should be able to work. I am not able to work some days and I do call in, and I struggle through on even more days, pulling out the rescue meds frequently and hoping for a relaxed day. Does anyone have any suggestions (words, books, websites, brochures, whatever) that I could use to try to help her understand what I (we) are really dealing with, every day? I have been calm and nice (or I think so, the rounds of prednisone might say differently!) with her, but I am losing my patience and can't afford to lose or leave my job. My primary helped me with FMLA paperwork, but even this isn't enough. I really appreciate any suggestions people might have

coughy16 responded:
Have you already been approved for fmla? Have you tried talking with your hr dept?

Martha425 replied to coughy16's response:
I think I was approved for FMLA, so far as I can tell. Work never gave me any paperwork back and when I asked about it, they said it was fine. ?? We don't really have an HR dept anymore--there's my boss and two others who are basically in charge. I let her know last week when I started round # 2 of prednisone, as I knew I wasn't doing well and she informed me of how many hours I have of paid sick and vacation time (less than 3 days). I don't know how to get her to understand that this is more than just having to take a couple puffs of an inhaler every now and then, which seems to be what she thinks. It's definitely frustrating.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center