Skip to content
Asthma Flare from Flu Shot
choo_chu posted:
It's that time of year again. I get my flu shot, and I have an asthma flare. Last year's flu shot was unusually bad. I get my flu shot and a couple days later I go into a bit of a flare...I'm waking up at night, my pfr are low and I'm just not right for about a week. Is it just me, or do other people experience the same thing when they get their flu shot?

Mathchickie responded:
Never happens to me that I've noticed.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi choo_chu,

I am sorry that you are experiencing this reaction to the flu shot and hope that you feel better soon!

There can be side effects to the vaccine as seen in this Overview , such as "cold-like symptoms, including sniffles, headache , runny nose, sore throat , cough , and body aches for a day or two after getting the flu shot. In some cases, you may also experience a low-grade fever." If you experience irregular trouble breathing, please do not hesitate to call your doctor.

The flu vaccine is especially important to those with asthma and you can read about HERE . Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care of yourself!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

Grammie060639 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
- I have asthma now in the 70's. I had a flu shot in 1963 and was very ill in bed for two weeks. I have not had one since. For the past five years I have visited my loved ones in the home nearly daily and have not caught the flu.

- I see that above is typed that the flue vaccine is especially important to those with asthma. I will read about it. Does anyone else avoid them?

imageekymom responded:
I refuse to get the flu shot because I have an allergy to eggs and the shot is made using egg. I get severe migraines and asthma from anything with a little bit of egg. Is it possible you have an allergy to something in the flu shot that is triggering your asthma?

Aqua14 responded:
Doesn't happen to me either.

In fact, last Saturday I got my allergy shots at the same time as my flu shot. The flu shot made my arm ache more! Thank heavens for ibuprofen.

Judy

coughy16 replied to Aqua14's response:
Yikes Judy, last year I got them at the same time, they put both allergy shots in one arm & the flu shot in the other. My allergy shot arm was awful for days, I will never do that again! This year I had them separated by about a week, much better! I had no reaction to the flu shot either.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center