Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not sure what's up this time
SolarFlareWolf posted:
Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old female with lifelong asthma. It's not under the best control, but it's not totally the worse (well it is now). Recently I had to go to the ER for an asthma attack, it was about a week ago. I have year round allergies (hay fever, dust, mold, dogs, cats, feathers, horses, ragweed, grass), live with a smoker (less than two packs a day, if that, she never smokes an entire cigarette anyway and we both work so it's not constant exposure), am exercise-induced, and have asthma troubles during the summer due to heat and humidity, but winter is the worst season for my asthma.

I catch colds rather easily and four years ago had a bad case of the flu as well as walking pneumonia. Cold air very quickly triggers my asthma, the colder it is the more my lungs feel like they're burning and hurting. Because i'm also exercise-induced I can work up an asthma attack just by walking two or three blocks, sometimes less if it's really cold, if i'm sick, or if I'm just having a bad asthma day. Occasionally I even feel like i taste a little blood while i'm wheezing and struggling to breathe. That may just be paranoia since I never cough blood or unusual colored mucus. I can't even wear down coats because I'm allergic to feathers.

This winter I'm not doing so hot with my asthma. Like I said earlier I was in the ER for an attack last week. It took four nebulizer treatments in the ER to completely open my lungs so they didn't hear any reduction with the stethoscope. Since then I've had wheezing and trouble breathing about every four hours. I also don't feel fully opened up after using my inhaler. I have a distinct feeling of chest congestion, but I don't feel sick. Mild sinus congestion and feeling congested in my chest, that's it. I have some fatigue, but that isn't really unusual for me because I have irregular sleep patterns because of irregular work schedules. I have a cough, but it's mild and mainly triggered by deep breaths. Any ideas what might be aggravating my asthma? Also, have a doctor's appointment soon, to alleviate any worry about that.

Helpful Tips

help to ease your asthma
been having asthma for more that 20 years, but it took some time for the right diagnostic, they were trying to cure me for alergys, and of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center