Skip to content
xolair
cwille posted:
well back out of hospital, again this time for another 5 days, that is i believe 11 times this year for the asthma. My doctors would like me to try xolair, only problem is i don't qualify becaues of my ig(?) blood work. Fortunatly my insurance company is going to push to approve it. I was wondering if anybody out there has used it before and if it really works. Next step if it doesn't work might be bronchothermoplasty. Needles to say it has been a heck of a year. Oh well, at least home for christmas.

god bless and merry christmas to all

cwille

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
So glad to hear that you were home for Christmas, cwille!

Things are kind of slow on the boards around the holidays for obvious reasons, but hopefully others will chime in with feedback on personal experiences when they return. For now, you can always check out our Drug Reviews tool. Just click on the hyperlink, enter the drug of your choice and hit the orange "GO" button. This will give you warnings, uses, side effects, and even user reviews. The "eye" icon just right and above the tabs will tell you what others think about the medication you are interested in learning about.

Here are the User Reviews for Xolair for you to look at and speak with your doctor about any concerns.

Hope this helps and you enjoy a healthy, happy holiday!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

bresky responded:
Hi Cwille

Sorry to hear you are back in the hospital. It is something my doctor and I have discussed it in lengths and unfortunately I also don't qualify. My Ig(e) levels are normal, they did allergy testing which was negative (all though I was on prednisone). They did a bronchoscopy and the biopsy of the lung tissue showed neutrophils instead of esonophils. She states for the prize of it she said it wasn't worth trying as it wouldn't help.
Have you tried atrovent or spiriva yet. I have found a huge difference since I have been on spiriva.
I am on the list for bronchothermoplasty, I have heard it is awful but has good results.
Bre

sgbl88 responded:
Hi cwille,
You have had a rough year. I am glad that you got to be home for Christmas though.

I have had moderated sucess with Xolair. What has been totally life changing for me is treatment for AERD (Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease). I have a friend that will be seeing my doctor for evaluation and treatment for that soon. It is a very simple treatment (aspirin desensitization) that is 100% effective provided that the patient has the disease.

I would urge you to discus this with your allergist and do some research on it yourself. aproxamately 20% of all asthmatics have this disease. If the patient also has chronic sinusitis, and/or nasal polyps, the percentage doubles to 40%. It is said to be highly under diagnosed. If your doctor won't look into the disease with you, find a doctor who will.

My friend that hopes to be undergoing treatment for AERD soon said that the doctor that intially diagnosed her asthma told her that most adult onset asthma patients will be pred dependent at some point. Her research on AERD said that most adult onset asthma patients have AERD.

Praying for yo ua better 2012.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center