Skip to content
Common cold and Asthma
donmol posted:
It seems every time I get a common cold my asthma gets so severe I end up in the hospital for 5 to a long as a 13 day stay. I have been on top of things and have called my doctor and started oral steriods early and it never fails I end up in the hospital. My family and employment suffer. I was windering is there anything else that I can so to prevent my asthma from being so severe? I am on a steriod inhaler along with an array of other medication for asthma. I call my pulmonologist at the first sign of a cold as I know that I can get into trouble quickly. I would like any advise possible. Is there vitamins that I might be missing I know Airborn is good but it seem to not work on me. Please HELP!! It is getting costly. Last year was a 13 dat stay 7 of those days in ICU and another stay of 5 days all in ICU and I went through a surgery that they said might help but I am now fighting a cold and is going into the lungs and by the way I am breathing and the nebulizer is running every 4 hours in hopes to keep out of inpatient I am hoping for a better 2012.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi welcome to the community.

Can you give us more history, please?

How old were you when you were diagnosed with astham?
Other than pred, what are your doctor's orders when you get a cold? Afrin? Increased, around the clock albuterol? increase inhaled steroid? sinus rinse?

It would help us help you if you could prov ide more info along those lines.

God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

donmol replied to sgbl88's response:
I was first diagnosed at the age of 18. I started out with a bad cold that went into an pneumonia and after 2 days in the hosipital I went into respiratory failure and needed to intubated and Life flighted to a bigger hospital. Was on a vent for 2 weeks. I thank the Lord for me still being a live. I have been on a vent 3 more times since. Everytime I get sick I fear it may be my last. That is why I am asking for advise. My orders are as follows... Albuterol neb treatment every 4 hour. Duonebs every hours and I have an order for albuterol neb if peakflow below 160 nebulizer X1 then wait 1 hour if still not above 160 can have another albuterol neb and then go to ER if not above the 160. I am on the Advair 250/50 normally but as soon as a cold comes on I am to increase to the 500/50 1 puff twice dailly. I am on Flonase twice daily. Singulair daily. Zyrtec twice daily. Prednisone 60 mg daily with start of a cold with a very slow titration that takes weeks to stop.

I am allergic to several antibiotics so that is last resort for the physcians to start. I also tried Xolair and the 3rd injection my tongue and throat swelled and I had trouble breathing. I cannot give up as I have a beautiful family but at times I feel like I am going to die when I get the asthma attacks.

amcate replied to donmol's response:
I don't know if anything I say will be appropriate for you, so check with your doctor.

I find if I have a viral infection, or what seems to be a viral infection, I have to take prednisone initially for the asthma, but when I go off of it, the asthma symptoms come back. So, I'll watch my peak flow carefully, and take neb treatments aggressively and get off prednisone. In essence, I'll depend on the neb treatments to keep me breathing and stay off prednisone so my immune system is not so suppressed it can't fight a virus. This normally works in my case, but if the peak flows starts dipping again in spite of neb treatments, then I have to briefly go back on prednisone. It ends up, in my case, being a situation where I have to walk a tight rope, suppressing the immune system enough to control asthma, but not so much that it can't fight the virus.

In terms of antibiotics, if it is viral, they don't help. They usually only work with bacteria. I'm more fortunate than you as I can use Levaquin if nothing else is working.

The only other thing I can think of is to limit asthma triggers as much as possible. I have found that if I have limited triggers in other areas (pollution, food allergens, cold air, etc.), then the lungs don't freak out as much with a cold.

I got tired of using the medications and getting sick a lot, so I just look weird and where a mask-sometimes a normal mask that blocks only bacteria, and sometimes N95 which has a viral shield on it. I look weird as hell, but I've not had a respiratory infection for over two years.

Don't know if any of this helps, but I hope it does. I don't know what will work in your case.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center