Skip to content
Acid Reflux surgery 12/20, lungs better already : )
Mathchickie posted:
Hi, folks. I posted a few times here over the past couple years. Short version, I have mild persistent asthma, but a LOT of drug allergies/sensitivities, including albuterol. Which meant lousy control a lot of the time. I've also had pretty severe acid reflux disease, and I was on a bunch of medicines with only partial relief.

The update: I'd been considering surgery to stop it for a while, then in the fall, my allergist was like, "You have to get the reflux under control if you ever want your lungs to feel better."

Went to the gastroenterologist, said, "I want surgery." I talked to the surgeon who said he could help me, then checked with my primary doctor, who encouraged me to go for it.

On Dec 20th, I had laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. The procedure itself wasn't that bad, I was able to do all normal activities except heavy lifting within a few days. The recovery diet has been NOT FUN, although it's a good way to lose weight.

The important thing is, I think it's worked. Yes, I've had a few reflux symptoms since the surgery, but it's momentary. I used to taste acid for two hours just from eating a little breakfast.

And my lungs are improving. Today it was 20 degrees out, and I walked to the store and back. I was almost home when I realized what was weird about the situation: my chest wasn't tight from the cold air.

Now, my biggest trigger is outdoor pollen. I'll have to see what happens when spring arrives. And I still have some other major problems with my digestive tract. But I think this could be a big step forward for me, as far as living a normal life WITH asthma.

coughy16 responded:
So glad to hear that the surgery has helped & you're feeling better!

Aqua14 responded:
That's great! Glad to hear your news.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hope things continue to look up for you, Mathchickie!

Hug yourself!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center