Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Another Cold Another Admission
donmol posted:
As I approached the ER department I was asked "Can I help you?" Trying to tell the intake personnel I need to see a doctor I have asthma. She said "I have a patient for triage." On the radio. A nurse came out and asked me why I was their and I told her I have asthma ans I was really short of breath. She put the SP02 on my finger and said "98%. Lets have a seat and I am going to take the rest of your vitals signs before bringing you back to the emergency department." I at that time was really wheezing and coughing bad. I was having a hard time to talk, I walked past her and went to the nurses station as I do work in the emergency department as a nurse on a per diem basis. I could not believe how she was treating me. She was new to the department and did not know me or how bad of an asthmatic I was.

Immediately RT was called for neb treatment and ABG's were drawn. Chest x-ray was done of course that was normal but the ABG were off on room air
PH 7.49
pC0241
p02 54
Bicarb 30.9
TC02 32.2

When RT came back with the results and hande them to the Doctor in the ER that afternoon it did not take long for him to come in the room and tell me that I was going to be staying for a few days.

At that time I was both relieved that I was going to get treatment finally and I wanted to tell the intake nurse just because an Sp02 stat is high does not mean a person is not in trouble. You need to assess the whole situation not just a number.

I feel we as asthmatics get have to take a lot of heat sometimes in the ER because we need to use them more often and at first if we walk in they think we are not that bad and can wait in reality we are running on adrenaline most of the time.

This little incident cost me 7 days in ICU and 6 days on Med/Surge. I hope this it for a long time. I feel weak and it is going to take a long time to bounce back from this one.

Although I did get a treatment I have never heard of before "Heliox" There is nothing funnier than talking to the ICU nurses and RT's and Doc's in a Mickey Mouse voice.

My biggest lesson to anyone about this whole discussion is be persistant when going to the ER if you are in trouble and they say your 02 level 98% you can wait and you know you can't DON'T!!!
donmol

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thank you for this, donmol!

You are so right, but this shouldn't be designated to just the ER...this pertains to all situations. Doctors, nurses, hospital staff, etc. are wonderful in so many ways and by no means am I downplaying them at all, but a patient must stay strong with their feelings and be their on advocate. No matter who is taking care of you, we are all people in the end..there are no mind readers and everyone has a bad day.

I'm so glad to hear that you are okay now and thank you, again, for sharing your story and insight. Take care!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

cwille responded:
oh boy are you right, everytime i go to er, my oxygen level is always above 95, usually around 98. But i can't breath or even talk than the anxiety kicks in. I had a nurse tell me one time to put on a mask because he didn't want to get sick. By no means am i putting down er nurses or docs, 99% of the time they are fantastic, it is just so agrivating sometimes. I have been in the hospital 12 times in the last year, and more often than not the people have been fantastic. Any way good luck in the future.

cwille

amcate responded:
I have asked my doctor to let me have a stash of prednisone at home and also to get me a portable nebulizer. That way, I premedicate before going to urgent care. I also carry my portable neb with me so if they take a long time getting to me, I can piggy back treatments myself.

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center