Skip to content
Adult Onset Asthma Questions
_Keith posted:
Hi. I'm new to this and I seem to have more questions than answers. I'm a couple weeks shy of my 50th birthday, I've been a very light smoker for quite a few years and have been participating in recreational hockey (roller, ice and street) for several years. I've been extremely active my entire life. A few months ago I got a nasty chest cold that lasted maybe a week, then went away. The only residual effect was a lingering cough that I couldn't shake. After about a month of it getting better and worse, but never going away, I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with walking pneumonia. After a week of taking that medication, things seemed to be getting little better, but then the coughing returned. I went back to the doctor and they gave me more medication. After about a week I started noticing some weezing and shortness of breath - especially in the evenings, so I decided to go to a new doctor. This one told me that I have Adult Onset Asthma caused by an infection. She gave me Azithromicine, Methylprednisolone and Cheratusin for the coughing. I've been on them for 4 days now and I've felt a lot better. I'm still filled with questions though. The key ones being - despite these meds clearing my condition, could I relapse again? How can I be sure that this is asthma and not something else? Will I need to monitor this the rest of my life? I'm just curious and want opinions from others who would know. Thank you.

amcate responded:
I'm assuming the doctor's diagnosis of asthma is correct.

1. Despite these meds clearing my condition, could I relapse again? Asthma is a condition that is chronic. When a kid has it, sometimes they outgrow it. I don't know of any adults who outgrow it, though the symptoms are sometimes there and sometimes not. If a trigger happens again, like another infection, then yes, it could relapse.

2. How can I be sure that this is asthma and not something else? I would go to a pulmonologist for differential diagnosis. In my personal experience, my allergist was suspecting I had another pulmonary condition in addition to asthma, but said the treatment would be similar. So I never bothered.

3. Will I need to monitor this the rest of my life? It depends on how severe the asthma is. I probably had mild asthma for several years before getting it treated. It got treated once it got more severe. Since they put you on a medicine that sounds like prednisone to me, I would touch base with someone regularly, whether it's an asthma doctor, pulmonology, or internal medicine.

Hope this helps. I'm not a doctor, but have had moderate to severe adult onset asthma for 12 years, a less severe form for 2 years before that, and likely a mild form before that. I wasn't diagnosed, though, until 14 years ago.

sgbl88 responded:
"Illness induced asthma" is a possible diagnosis. I was diagnosed with it before my diagnosis of asthma. Generally I believe that doctors use that when a patient has mild-intermittant asthma that only causes symptoms with respiratory viruses. This is a benefit to patients as far as insurance goes. If for some reason you have to get private insurance, you will not have a pre-existing condition that puts exclusions clauses or flat out denies you coverage. Be happy with that diagnosis, but watch for symptoms when you are not sick. If symptoms occur at other times, be sure to tell your doctor so that you can have the diagnosis you will then need and be on the maintenance meds you need.

By the list of medications you were given your doctor is indicating that your "asthma" is not a persistant issue for you and only needs treating when your have a respiratory virus. You were not given any astham meds only a steroid for anti-inflamatory use. Be aware that you could develop persistant asthma at any time which will require more agreessive treatment and daily monitoring and medication. Until that time comes (if that time comes), you shouldn't worry about it.

The next time you are sick, request samples of an inhaled steroid and a rescue inhaler instead of the methylprenasolone. Any form of pred is a NASTY med and should be avoided if you can. An inhaled steroid and using a rescue inhaler several times a day will work for mild flares caused by an illness.

I hope that helps you.

Feel better and
God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

_Keith replied to sgbl88's response:
Thanks Sonya, and amcate too. You both gave me valuable information.

I completed my medications yesterday and feel 100% better than I did a week ago. When I wake up I have mild sporadic/shallow coughing that goes away pretty quickly and I hear some faint wheezing too - but my symptoms go away during the day now, unless I go out into the cold. I'm hoping that Sonya was right and that this was illness induced asthma. I will see my practitioner next week for a follow-up. I will let you know how that goes.

God bless all of you.

Keith

amcate replied to _Keith's response:
I'm glad you are better. I only know asthma in my particular case. It is possible that Sonya knows more about it in general. I am in the top 5% in terms of severity, and so my own meds are rather aggressive. It is possible that my suggestions might be too aggressive in your case, but I don't know.

_Keith replied to amcate's response:
Sorry about your condition amcate. I pray that the proper treatment will bring you relief. I've been dealing with this for only a couple months and know how frustrated I've become. I can't imagine how it must feel for you.

Anyway - in my case, the follow-up went well and the doctor said that I may be symptom free in a few weeks. I took my son snowboarding a two weekends ago and it definitely re-aggravated my situation. I've been taking multiple puffs from my rescue inhaler the past few days, which I learned is not a good thing. I will be going back to the doctor the first chance I get. I will ask her if I should consult a pulmonologist also.

In the meantime, I appreciate your input and pray for your healing.

amcate replied to _Keith's response:
Thanks, Keith. Just so you know, cold air is a common trigger for asthma. You may want to consider next time wearing a ski mask or something else that is warm over your nose and mouth if you didn't do it this time. Of course, triggers for asthma are different for everyone.

Hope you continue to get better.

more2c responded:
Hi Keith, I should have read your post first. I just started a new one similar to your questions. I'm 54

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center