Skip to content
2 year old coughs until he vomits
debranmatt posted:
My two year old got his first albuterol and flovent (with spacer) and flonase prescriptions when he was only 14 months old. He has done well even with breaks of a few weeks at a time without the inhalers. Every winter time we have to use them for months at a time and the humidifier is on every night and at naps.

My question is what the heck is wrong that he will get these horrible coughs and he has fits of them so hard that he vomits. No fever, and his nasal congestion is pretty clear. I feel useless when I take him to the pediatrician and they say his lungs are clear etc. His cough is so bad that many people look at me like I should take care of it and he has been sent home from daycare a few times because of the coughing. Really would like some suggestions.

Aqua14 responded:
The fits of coughing are asthma attacks and should be treated with albuterol at the very least when he starts coughing. His albuterol should be at the day care as well as at home and the day care staff should be instructed on how to administer it to him when he starts coughing a lot.

It would probably be a good idea to take him to be seen by a pediatric allergist who may want to tweak his allergy and asthma medications so that these coughing fits don't happen so often. It would be important to determine what he's allergic to so that those triggers could be avoided. For example, if he's allergic to cats and the day care lady has a cat, then that's not the right day care for him.

Finally, it would be a good idea for you to learn about allergies and asthma. There are a couple of good books out there. One is "Allergies and Asthma for Dummies," by Dr. William Berger.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center