Skip to content
childhood asthma, HELP
sparks602 posted:
My 7 yr old son has had asthma since he was a baby. Recently he had an attack, the school didn't give him medicine. He was in pretty bad shape. After talking to his pulminologist he changed his meds around and said that if things didn't change for the better in a few days he would need to be seen in the hospital. Well, all of that happened and the er doc said that he was fine. Yes I'm relieved, but what now? All of the signs that we used to tell if he was in bad shape are still there, but the doc says he's fine. My wife and I are confused, frustrated and stressed to the max. And ofcourse the pulmonologist is out of the office untill wednesday.
Someone help us please!!!!

Aqua14 responded:
ER docs are not expert at assessing severity of asthma, so I wouldn't necessarily trust what the ER doc says. Doesn't the pulmonologist have someone filling in for him while he's out who could assess your son? If you go to the ER again could you push for a pulmonary consult in order to have him appropriately assessed and admitted if necessary? I can totally understand why you & your wife would be stressed out.

Those are just a couple of thoughts running through my head. Hope they help somewhat.

And of course a meeting needs to be held with the school so this doesn't happen again.

Take care & good luck. Judy

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi sparks!

Were you able to see the pulmonologist today? How did things go?

Please keep us posted and take care of your son and yourself.

Wishing you the best!
Amelia
- Asthma doesn't seem to bother me anymore, unless I'm around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar. - Steve Allen

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center