Skip to content
asthma attack
RachelLinares posted:
Had an asthma attack last night, no wheezing, just tighness in my chest, ocasional dizziness and slight panic. My inhaler doesn't seem to be doing the trick so I went to a clinic near my house and was given a steroid shot and a new inhaler that I have to take 3 times a day for a week. No mask treatment because the doctor didn't hear any wheezing. I still feel like someone is sitting on my chest. Any recomendations?

Aqua14 responded:
It would be a good idea to follow up this week with your regular asthma doctor.

What was the inhaler that you were taking, and what is the name of the new inhaler?

Judy

lavendarssky responded:
Agree with Aqua14 that you should put in a call to your asthma doctor. You may need a round of oral prednisone.

Good luck and I hope you're able to experience relief soon!

cargoqueen responded:
I used to have to use a steroid disc inhaler once a day and then follow up with the regular inhaler as needed. I finally got to where I never use the steroids now and only use the inhaler if I am exposed to one of the 1000 things that I am sensitive to, environmental things inside and out, scents, cats, etc. I am allergic to everything ever put on this earth but I had to use the steroidal inhaler for a couple of years before I reached the point where I can breathe fairly well. I have horrible sinus reactions to my allergies, wish I could get rid of that at some point. Tried everything for the congestion and it never goes away completely. But I would agree with the others and see your regular allergist to see what they suggest. You might want to try a space with your inhaler to make sure it is getting into your lungs and not missing the needed area when it sprays. Just a couple of thoughts. You might check with your allergy doctor about the panic and the elephant on your chest, could be you need an anti-anxiety medication. I did,

invernessroad responded:
Hi Rachel, Hope you are feeling more relaxed and breathing easier today. I too can feel the asthma before a stethescope can pick it up. The Dr. said that I am actually feeling the begining of bronchospasms before they are audible. I was always sent home with "no wheezing" until I got really bad and it did that really quickly. The Dr. that told me the above recognized what was happening because HE was an asthmatic! When the breathing is tightened, our natural reflex is to respond with alarm in order to preserve our lives! Knowing this, distract yourself and re-focus and the anxiety will respond amazingly well.
ie; I eat sunflower seeds non-stop and using my mouth that way keeps me relaxed and that calms me.
Drink lots of water (2 litres) throughout the day-thins the mucus and warm or cool can soothe irritated throat tissues.
The dizziness can be from hyperventilating slightly with the anxiety.
2 mmore thoughts, if I may?...
Find a different Dr.-ask around and call local clinics to see whether they have a Dr. who is good with asthma and breathing problems. Ideally, if you know someone in the field, even a Medical Assistant, they will know who is really good and who you might want to stay away from.
I too, have not responded to inhalers other than my good old Alupent which is no longer made. The "similiar" ones have no effect on me, which is a part of my medical profile in general.
Because of this, I have gotten a whole lot of help from complementary treatment.
A good Naturopath, Homeopath, Accupuncturist-these can help you tremendously.
If that is too costly, a reputable health food store generally has staff who can guide you to effective remedies.
I like Herbal Respiratory Relief by Herb Pharm. It is a tincture (drops) that I first put in a bit of warm water to evaporate the bad taste of the alcohol.
HOMEOPATHIC Belladonna (not the plant or anything else), no dairy or extremely cold foods,eat small meals, 1,500 mg. Vitamin C 3 times daily, Grape Seed Extract, Quercitin- these all reuce airway inflamation well and gently.
Do find someone knowledgeable in alternative medicine, and stay under a Dr.'s care. Also journal, pray, and meditate.
I hope some of this helps, been there, done that.
Wellness and blessing on you!

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center