Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can anybody help me with my question
JenniferBurnett1126 posted:
I have had asthmas since I was little and I smoke and overwieght. I want to stop smoking to excercise but I dont know if I should wait until the nicotine is out of my system. I am on Primatene Mist and been on for years but it does make my heart beat race really fast. I really need help on what I need to do after I stop smoking because I dont wont to end up with an asthma attack or something worse. I cant go to the doctor because I cant afford it and I cant afford to get the inhaler I really am on which is albuteral. Can anybody let me know what I should do so I can lose weight, I really want to be around a little longer.

amcate responded:
I don't have an answer to your main question. In terms of affording a doctor, though, I would try a community health center which normally is an outpatient center which is subsidized by the government and is sliding scale. There may be social workers there who can let you know of insurance programs which the state will help you pay for, which vary state to state. In addition, drug companies sometimes will help you pay for the inhaler.

Even if you don't qualify for any state insurance, though, still the community health center normally will charge you based on what you make. If you don't make much, they don't charge much.

Hope this helps.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
I am familiar with your situation. I have severe asthma and have been uninsured for the last year. Now, I have a pre-existing clause for the next 18 months. UGH!! If you have been managing with Primatene mist, you don't have have bad asthma and it should be easy to control.

1) You really must see your doctor. Asthma can worsen if not well controlled. You have one life to live, and you should live it as healthy as you can. Any money spent on maintaining your health is an investment in your future quality of life.

2) QUIT SMOKING!! It may cause problems with your asthma, but the long term damage of smoking is permanent. You will get through the flare that may happen when you stop smoking.

3) How much $$$ willyou save by not buying cigarettes anymore. I have never smoked, but I know the things are not cheap. That savings will help offset medical expenses.

4) Doctors will help you with expenses. Patients paying cash are given a percent off. Your doctor may also be able to give you samples of the medication they want you on. They can also help you get on manufacturer assistance program where you can your medication for little to no expense. If you qualify, there are also foundations to help pay for medical expenses. I am on two medications that are $1,000 per month. I am getting both for free from the manufacturer.

FYI - Walmart does carry a small Ventolin inhaler on their $4 medication list. It is smaller (about half the size of the normal inhalers), but at least it is the medication you need. You can only buy one per month, but you can buy them monthly and save them up. for a flare.

Another trick I learned is that many of the national chains like Walmart, Target, Walgreens and CVS have prescription membership plans. Walgreens is the most expensive at $20 per year. In January of this year they were $5. They can reduce a prescription by 50% or more. With this card you can get nebulizer albuterol for around $15.

Also, almost all name brand medications have discount cards or printable coupons available on line. I have seen them for up to $50 off. I was getting one medication for less than $3 a month with insurance and the card.

I hope that helps you some.

It is very important to take care of your health. If it goes, what do you have left?

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center