Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Children's asthma
pattifer posted:
My 3 year old granddaughter has had a horrible cough for going on 3 months now. She had bronchoscopy and they found a couple of bacteria growing, but gave her ammoxcillin (didn't work) and then augmentin (again didn't work). They gave her Zithromax, didn't work. They have given her steroids,two rounds did not work, inhalers, haven't worked. Now she is running 101 fevers now. They keep telling us to give it time. How long? She falls asleep frequently, coughs all nite, has not had a good nite sleep in at least six weeks. We took her to ER, they told us to take her to her pediatrician. He won't see her because pulmonology is involved. Pulmonolgy told us to go to ER. So now what? Is this really common asthma problem for a 3 year old? They also said this could be caused by acid reflux too.

amcate responded:
The health care system can be difficult to navigate. I don't know for a 3 year old. I do know for myself that I've had times when augmentin did not work. They followed it up with Tequin or Levaquin which is a different class of antibiotics (I think). Those did work. They never have not worked. They do have significant risks, though, so I don't know if they would be okay for a 3 year old.

I've heard of problems with the ER. I normally go to urgent care and haven't had a problem. You might talk to pulmonology and see if they are okay with doing a direct admit to the hospital from their office. I've seen it done here, but I don't know the procedures.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center