Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Night Asthma Attack and continued tightness
An_243932 posted:
Last night I woke up having an asthma attack. I have had asthma for 5 years, and it has been fairly well controlled. I have been able to exercise as long as I use my inhaler before i workout. I also take singulair, and asmanex. Last night was the first time in several years that I have had an asthma attack where I was afraid my rescue inhaler wasn't going to kick in. I was worried I was going to have to wake my husband to have him take me to the hospital, which of course panicked me a little bit. Fortunately, I was able to lessen the symptoms. This morning, I am still tired, my chest is sore, and I'm still a little tight. Is this normal, or do I need to notify my doctor and just let him know what happened?

bresky responded:
It is normal to feel crappy after an attack, such as the sore chest and the tiredness. I find when I have some of my attacks that it takes a couple of days to feel myself again. It is important to also let your dr know in case your maintenance medication does need to be changed. I usually keep track of when I had my attacks what worked and didn't and what i figured cased the attack. When I see my respirologist we find it helpful to go through and see if anything could be changed or done differently.
Hope you are starting to feel better.
Bre

amcate responded:
I would tell your doctor. I remember once when my albuterol failed. My allergists had an on call person for emergencies, and I thought it qualified. The on call person told me to take several puffs of the albuterol, and go to the pharmacy to pick up Combivent, as it is a stronger drug since it has an additional medicine added to the albuterol. Then she said to go to the ER if it gets any worse.

Even the Combivent once failed, and the instructions said to not take more than 2 puffs in 4 hours due to cardiac risks. The allergist, who was also trained in emergency medicine, said it doesn't matter in an emergency situation. He told me to take as much as I have to for the lungs to open.

They ended up getting me a nebulizer that is portable so I can look really cool . It's never failed to reverse attacks, and I can use it if the Combivent fails.

So, yes, I would tell them because maybe they want to get you a stronger inhaler, even though it sounds like it's infrequent.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center