Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Adult asthma
pamswiger67 posted:
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with adult asthma and i'm 44 years old. I aalso suffer with anxiety attacks and depression which makes it harder to deal with this. I'm so afraid that i'll have a major asthma attack and die from it,i have heard of people dying from it and i'm scared to death.

bresky responded:
Hi pamswiger

I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with asthma, it does make it hard having anxiety and depression along with asthma.
I will be honest people do die from asthma but it is very rare. The main thing you need to have is a asthma action plan. Lets you know when to take your rescue meds; how much and when to head to the hospital.
Have you meet with your doctor to figure out medications. What are you on? How did they come up with the diagnoses of asthma?
Make sure you always carry your reliver inhaler on you, and use it as needed. Also let the people around you know that you have asthma and tell them when you feel you need to go the hospital.
Hope your asthma is well controlled. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Bre

amcate responded:
It can be scary, but after awhile you get used to the physical part. It is possible to die from it, but you can greatly reduce your risks by the medicines and avoiding triggers. Sometimes I'm told it's difficult to manage me due to the long term risks of the drugs themselves versus the risks of the asthma. Sorry to hear of your situation.

You should also know that some of the asthma medicines, especially corticosteroids can have effects on your mind. So, if you take prednisone and notice changes in your mood, it could just be the prednisone.

There might be a pulmonary support group in your area that at least you would know others dealing with pulmonary problems. Maybe that would help?

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center