Skip to content
Inhalers causing nasal congestion
jake320 posted:
Guys

I have minor asthma that started 6 months ago after years of suffering from springtime allergies. I was on flovent for a few months (110mcg x 2 puffs x morning & night) and it used to cause nasal congestion immediately after and sometimes mid-day too. The nasal congestion was counter-intuitive because I wasn't able to breathe right. When I tested for a day or two to get off flovent, I had no nasal congestion whatsoever but I could see my breathing was affected by the end of day 2 and had to get back

Now my doctor asked me to try symbicort (80mcg 2 puffs x morning & night) and I still face the nasal congestion.

Is it possible I'm allergic to these meds and do I have any options? Would like to hear from others who have been taking these meds

Thanks

amcate responded:
I've taken Flovent for years and never had a problem. Sorry, I can't offer much help because I don't know. I would be careful about discontinuing an inhaled corticosteroid without letting the MD know, though.

I do know that there is a drug called Dulera, which does not use the same inhaled corticosteroid as FloVent. It's a combination drug.

There is a feature on here where you can look up different drugs to find out about them.

jake320 replied to amcate's response:
This may sound crazy but when I take flovent, I use all my effort for about 15 seconds to breathe it in which means it's getting in deep within my lungs. Then I hold another 10 seconds and breathe out very slow

Recently I started to take it in with a little lesser effort and notice it's still helping me but not causing too much nasal congestion

Helpful Tips

excercise
since ive been doing more cardio related excercise my attacks seem to have lessoned More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center