Skip to content
fish without water
cnadygirl53 posted:
I have asthma, I have had it for some time. I am 36 and was shocked when he told me I did, I had never had this problem before so it caught me off guard. lately I have had this problem with acid reflux and my doctor said it was causing my asthma to flare up worse. i was given medication for it but I wonder if this is a prolonged thing. can this go away or what, I wonder if it will cause long term health problems. I started losing weight and going to the gym more around that time is when I started having this problem I love going to the gym and like to exercise and am not going to stop but my doctor told me to not go for a while, he may even say stop all together I don't want to. maybe someone can give me a thought or suggestion on what they would do. just to help ease my mind cause knowing me I won't give up the gym, no matter what the consciquences may be.

Take the Poll

What cause acid reflux?
  • spicy foods
  • over eating
  • wearing tight fighting clothes
vote
View Poll Results

Aqua14 responded:
Did your doctor tell you to stop exercising just until your asthma was under better control? Just wondering.

There are some exercises (like crunches or sit ups) that put pressure on the stomach and could cause reflux to get worse, so you might want to avoid those. And I recall reading that for some people exercise can actually cause reflux - I don't recall why, but you might want to search for an article about that.

I have asthma and reflux so I can relate to your situation. Refluxed acid can definitely make asthma worse, and that's what happened to me. In my case, it was my asthma medication (Symbicort) that promoted reflux -- the long-acting bronchodilator in Symbicort is known to relax the valve between the stomach and the esophagus. Last August my allergist switched me to another asthma med and gradually my reflux has been diminishing. It's not gone yet but is much better than it was. I still use Tums and another reflux med in the morning.

Hope these thoughts help you. Take care & good luck. Judy

amcate responded:
I have mild reflux controlled with smaller more frequent meals and staying upright after meals.

If I'm in an exacerbation, I won't do more strenous exercise as I have exercise induced asthma. If I've fairly well controlled, I'll take the rescue med first to prevent the attacks and keep it on me.

I find yoga is more likely to cause problems because some of the postures are with the head lower than the stomach and twisting. Perhaps you can do something like riding a stationary bike, which I don't think would put as much mechanical pressure on the abdominal area? Ask your doctor.

When I'm better controlled, I don't take as many asthma meds, and some of them make GERD worse, as already mentioned above.

It's rare for a doctor to tell an asthmatic to never ever exercise. Sometimes they'll say it when you are in a bad exacerbation, but still I'll normally at least walk around the block to help prevent pneumonia and mobilize secretions.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center