4 months post-op & NEBULIZER WARNING
lmski posted:
Well, I'm continuing to improve. My worst symptom was horrible coughing spells--I'd cough until I'd hyperventilate or sometimes vomit. Also, I had constant bad wheezing. I still have a bit of wheezing, but yesterday I didn't cough once all day. That's like a miracle. But about three weeks ago I got really sick--coughing, weakness, bad wheezing, probably a fever although I didn't think to check. My asthma doctor ordered a sputum culture and found that I had a heavy infestation of pseudomonas bacteria in my lungs. We're thinking that I may have gotten this from my nebulizer--sometimes I'm not as good at cleaning it as I should be. I just get a little lazy. I was probably sucking that bacteria right into my lungs whenever I used it. Yuck. I'm never going to neglect my nebulizer again. If you don't know the proper procedure for cleaning yours, ask your doctor, nurse, or the company where you bought it. Anyway, after a course of prednisone and Levaquin I'm doing well again, but it was a miserable two weeks. So, yes I'm doing well four months post-op. I hope you can find somebody to do your procedures. I'm glad I had it done. My quality of life has improved very much.

bresky responded:
I am glad to hear that things are going better, well other then the infection. I am bad for washing mine out along with my aerochamber and inhalers, guess I should be doing that a little more often.
I am really hoping I will get the news when I see her in 2 weeks that she will have found someone to take me, and then as it is Canada I have to wait for Manitoba Health to approve it as its not available in my province so they have to pay travel expenses.
Were you off work long? I was told that between procedures I wouldn't be able to work but not sure how long after I would need off.
I am glad to hear your quality of life has improved I so badly want to be able to do what I used to do.
Bre

lmski replied to bresky's response:
We lived in Ontario for six years, so I'm familiar with Canadian health care, although I know it varies from province to province. I would say the amount of time you're off work depends on your job. If you have a desk job, you probably wouldn't miss too much work, maybe a week or so. I just had a lot of coughing afterwards and some trouble sleeping (because of the coughing.) If you have to be really physically active at your job, physical exertion that causes you to breathe heavily, it might take longer to get back. I can't imagine being so bad that you have to be off the whole time between procedures. But I guess that depends on how severe your symptoms are before you start.I know medical things take longer in Canada--it took a LONG time to get my gall bladder out. Hang in there and let me know how things procede.