Skip to content
Severe Asthma??
Spyder45 posted:
Ok so I devoloped severe asthma bout 2 years ago. In that time i lost my job,girlfriend,and place to live. im 29 now but i used to work (masonary) played basketball very active. Now if i dont take the oral steroids at least every other day i cant make it to the bathroom without taking a albuterol treatment! I did the allergy tests said i was allergic to pet dander, trees mold and other things. I dont have any other symtoms other than cant breath right without steroids. Nothin my allergy Dr has done has helped me besides the steady dose of steroids. I have read some of the affects of oral steroid use over yrs of taking it and gettin kind of worried.Now the doc wants me to get thermoplasty (Ithink its called) done where i guess they burn open ur airwave. Just would like to hear im not only 1 dealing with this mystery come out of nowhere life changing breathing problem. Or if anybody can help and should i try to get the surgery?

alenasmommy10 responded:
Have you tried different types of corti-steroid inhalers? a lot of them work similarly but have different effects on different people. I would say that if you have tried numerous ones, that quality of life is most important. the surgery is a minor one and if its going to cure you, Id personally go for it! Good luck!

cwille replied to bresky's response:
hi, u are definitly not alone, i am 44 but started to have asthma when i was 40, it started out slowly, but now it is severe, i have been in the hospital 14 times in the last year and a half, i have also been on so many different types of meds that i forgot most of what they where. i am now on pulmicort ,with a mixture or xopenex and lidocaine for my nebulizer. my asthma is a cough varient, i start coughing and can't stop, which than kicks the asthma in. I am also on prednisone, i now have cataracts, from all the steroids. I have been on asthmanex as well as others but nothing seems to help. I am also allergic to dust mites, dust, trees, pollen etc. I was on a allergy drug for asthmatice called xolair, but after 2 treatments i had a reaction , so no more xolair, i haven't tried the bronchial thermoplasty yet, that might be next, i hope if you do it , it works for u, asthma really does suck, there is no other way to put it. i am also in the process of getting ready to retire, at least i hope its approved, i am a mailman , when i am working that is. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone , and that the message boards are a nice thing to have, at least u can get info or just plain ol vent your frustrations.

well good luck
cwille

amcate replied to bresky's response:
I was ready down your list of meds. You have my condolences because prednisone and theophylline are hard, especially going off and on prednisone. I had to take theophylline and it felt like I had nine cups of coffee. I woke up once with seizures, then I went off of it.

amcate responded:
In terms of the bronchothermoplasty, all I know is my allergist does not like it, but they don't say why. My pulmonary support group says that it's a good idea to get a thorough diagnostic workup to be sure it's only asthma before getting it done.

You are not alone. I had mild asthma for 2 years, then 12 years ago it got to moderate-severe persistent. For that year, it was on and off prednisone, then theophylline, along with other drugs. I had to move to less pollution. I started to wear a mask 3 years ago with good results. The only problem is potential discrimination with work which is hard to prove and people not wanting to get to know me and laughing at me. I was told today, "you are so beautiful, you shouldn't hide your pretty face. It's hard for anyone to get to know you when you wear it. You should just use hand sanitizer." Of course, the hand sanitizer won't work due to ezcema. Also, not wearing a mask for employment interviews won't work because when I start to work I should wear a mask since its with patients. The employer could just find a reason to get rid of me after I start to work. It makes no sense to just skip it for an interview. This was from a church member. Another told me that maybe I should just work at home and gave me information. I told her it's a matter of injustice, in that it is discrimination, but she laughed it off.

Point is, a lot of people without asthma don't know what they are talking about. I stopped wearing a mask, and was congratulated. Then I said, "why? I'm making the decision to just get sick so no one else will have to feel uneasy with me looking like a freak." I've tried to explain to people the long term effects of prednisone when taken over the years. It is scary. The problem in my case is the total amount of prednisone taken annually is too high unless I wear a mask, but it's hard to find work with a mask. I have to choose between my health and being acceptable to others. The church member said, "well, at least you can take it off. You aren't like someone who has a burn." I said, "what do you mean? Yes, I can take it off....if I don't mind having trouble breathing for 3 months at a time. What kind of choice is that?"

So,now I'm venting some. Just trust me, you are not alone. If you lost the job due to asthma, you are not alone with that either.

I will be getting an evaluation from pulmonologist to make sure allergist didn't miss anything. Maybe that would help you?

nannerdean replied to amcate's response:
Hello my name is Dean( female). I got astma when I was 40. My dr. I had for 10 years never had problems then he left AL and the last dr. I had before the one I have now just didn't care. I had such a bad attack last year I should have been in hospital. I take 4 different inhalers did take advair and it helped insurance stopped paying for it. I take a oral medication and use albuterol in my nebulizer did use brovan in nebulizer but insurance wont pay for it now either. For the last year I have been retired, for about three months I could barely walk down the hall to LR I would be so out of breath and wheezing. . my doctor sent me to allergie dr. he said I was allergie to everything so I started shots 2 a week no improvement there he tested me for other things but ok there so now I have a cough not constantly but takes me awhile to quit coughing. I get up two times during night for nebulizer but don't feel like its helping either don't know what else to do. I have taken orednoise so long and because of prenoise had both eye surgery last year and had cataract removed. I read where u can have rheumatic arth. in lungs. Theu got to do something I don't get out much anymore do go to church if able and sometimes I can go to store. I hope you find help too don't know what else to do!!!

christgirl1963 replied to cwille's response:
it is going to take more then two doses of xolair to notice a difference. I have been on it for a year. it does work. also, there are medicines such as flovent, spariva etc. that help. also singular and lortadine. God Bless

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 144 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center