Skip to content
New to Boards, Not to Asthma
alenasmommy10 posted:
Hi my name is Alli and I have a "nearly" 4 year old named Alena. (Pronounced ah lane ah) I had asthma as a child but grew out of it. My daughter was very sick the first few months of her life and within 3 months had meningitis and then pertusis (whooping Cough) after that she coughed insanely for 15 months until we finally got the diagnosis of asthma. She is taking numerous medications for both the asthma and allergies (peanut especially) and recently her symptoms have gotten out of control. Now I have been handling her medications and attacks for 3 years and I know it comes in waves and I know most of her triggers. But this week has been the worst she has ever had. We are using the Albuterol in the nebulizer every 4 hours. And there hasnt been a day when we didn't have to do a trigger dose (Giving 2 treatments within an hour of each other in severe cases, limited to once a day) Night time is the worst. As I type this I can count on 2 hands the number of hours of sleep I have gotten this week, because as Im sure with the other parents here, SHE might be able to sleep through it, but I cannot listen to her cough all night. She is coughing every 30 seconds or less. I have taken her to the ER twice this week and she has also been put on pregdisolone (we are on day 4) HELP! I don't want to take her to the ER again tonight, but she had a nebulizer treatment at 9pm and its only 10:30pm. Here are the medications for today (and pretty much the last 4 days have been the same) (R= regular)

7am - Gummy Multivitamin R
4 Puffs Qvar in Inspirease spacer (R-2)
2.5 ml Pregdislone
1 albuterol sulfate vial in NEB

11am Neb
1pm 5ml Benadryl (so she can sleep through nap)
3pm Neb
Flonase R

8pm GUmmy Multivitamin R
2.5 Prgdisolone
5ml Zrytec R
4mg Singulair R
4 puffs Qvar R-2

12 mid NEB
2-3am NEB Trigger Dose

AND REPEAT

I have an air purifier in my apartment and she sleeps with the new sharper image humidifier/air purifier in her room every night. I don't know what to do. It breaks my heart to hear her cough all night and even more so during the day when she's turning bright red. Sometimes it gets so bad she vomits. I need some advice guys and gals. I would love to be a part of a community where I could share my advice and struggles and have other parents who understand the frustrations and the triumphs. Please message me!

Thank You!

Alli
(Alena's Mommy)

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center