Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise Induced Asthma Intensity?
EAlbano posted:
While running with my husband this weekend, I was forced to quit pretty quickly (as usual). As we walked, I mentioned how much I hated the burning sensation, and how it always made me quit. He thought I was talking about thirst, but the more I described it to him, the more he asserted that he's never experienced anything like it. I was curious and started to ask other friends who run a lot, and they all asserted the same thing. So I started researching and made an appointment with the doctor. I have not seen a doctor or been diagnosed yet, but my symptoms seem to line up pretty well with Asthma. I don't want to self-diagnose. But honestly, I'm still sort of reeling from the concept that this isn't normal. I always thought THIS was the reason people didn't like to exercise. I've pushed through the pain since I was a kid (as a kid my P.E. teachers and other adults never took me seriously, so I thought I must be being dramatic). I have always had this pain, and always this level of pain. It has always come on pretty quickly (think within a few minutes of increased cardio). Even as a child, when I was still in relatively good shape (because I played through the pain) I had this horrible burning (if you want to call it that) in my throat (as many others have described) in the area under the adam's apple, and mostly above the collarbone. And, like many others, mine is so, so much worse in the cold weather.

But my problem is with the intensity of the pain. The "burning" described, doesn't quite do the feeling justice, to me. I would put it more on the level of getting a tatoo inside my throat. I don't consider myself too much of a whiner - I did 63 hours of childbirth labor without pain medication. But this is pretty horrible pain. And it has ALWAYS been that level of intensity. Is that normal for asthma patients?

I have yet another question. Am I likely to be able to really control this, ever? So many kids I knew who had it when I was young didn't really seem to be in control of it. A lot of people I have known with it seem to mention it as their excuse to not exercise. I desperately want to be able to someday run a mile (or more) with my husband. Is this going to prevent me from doing that? And frankly, I'd love to be able to not have to use an inhaler every time I want to run. Is that possible?

nicatl responded:
Well first,,let me ask you a couple of questions. Have you been diagnoised with asthma? If you haven't, why are u using an inhaler and who prescribed that for you. Also have you seen a ccardio dr for the pain. Have you seen a gastro dr for that burning. Have you thought about it being Acid reflux? Just asking. If it is exercise induced asthma, which i have, i always pretreat before i exercise and usually have no problems during my bike rides. I understand your frustration with having to use your inhaler everytime you run but if you have EIA then ya really have no choice. And you want to be on the safe side. I see where you wrote this about 2months ago so here's hoping you have seen doctors and have figured out whats going on. If so,,just hollerback and let me know what you had going on. Good luck,
Nicki

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center