Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest and lymph node pain; what is this?
Seraphim0843 posted:
My entire life, I've always had this pain that is triggered by exercise - when I exercise for about 1 to 2 minutes, when I breath through my nose or mouth, my chest hurts (much like the pain when experiencing a chest cold), and the pain goes right up through my throat, lymph-nodes underneath my chin, and ends in the gum area in my frontal lower teeth. It also often leads to me coughing quite hoarsely, as if I have a chest cold. It is most often triggered when I have to run long distances, but can be triggered by any physical exercise, and increases to the point in which I have to stop whatever I'm doing, and it continues on after that, often taking about 3 to 6 hours to feel normal again. Sometimes it also, itself, triggers tonsillitis (which is why, every year at the same time, when we had to do a run in school, I would get tonsillitis). I have mentioned it to my doctor several times throughout my life, with the response either being that they don't know what it is, or that I might have mild asthma. I know very little about asthma, but I do know that the main symptom when having an attack is that it is difficult to breathe, which I don't experience - it is not difficult to breathe at all; it only hurts to breathe. People have suggested that I try only breathing through my nose, or only through my mouth, neither of which have made any difference at all. I know that it most likely isn't an allergy, as it can occur in any location, inside and outside, in any kind of weather. I have also considered that it might get better as I exercise more often, building up my stamina and the like, only to try pushing myself daily, for months and years, and for it to not get better at all.

I'm often told not to worry about it, but it is extremely frustrating, as I can't go for walks or runs or any kind of exercise that I want to do for longer than about 2 minutes, without this pain. It is especially frustrating that going out for a simple run can easily lead to a cold or tonsillitis that lasts for months.

If anyone has any advice or idea as to what this is - if it is a condition or an illness or completely normal or anything at all - I would really appreciate it.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center