Skip to content
Complete failure and downward spiral of the FDA
fschris1 posted:
I want to keep this short. I have had asthma for a long time. It was very controlled.

I was an Elite level triathlete. In 2006 I placed in the top 5 of a Half Iron man. The first guy to finish was a pro.

Then it started, I found my level that could exercise slowly diminished. Two years later I can't even run 3 miles.

Took me a while but finally figured out it was the new Albuterol Inhalers without the CFC.

I spent thousands of dollars trying advair, pulmicourt, max air, servent blah blah blah.

None of it works.

Now when I go run I just struggle.

I'd like to thank the medical community and the government for making this happen.

Pissed Off Ex Triathlete.

PS... I will try anything. ANYTHING. just to feel like I did with the old inhaler. SOmething so cheap that worked so awesome. I would fly to friggen China to buy them if I could.

coughy16 responded:
I use maxair which still has cfc, I just checked and it seems it will be phased out by Dec 2013. You might give it a try, I switched to it years ago due to problems that I was having with the propellent in other inhalers. Might hold you over until it is out of production too. The other good thing is that it has 400 inhalations instead of 200, so it lasts a lot longer! A note though, I just had my dr write me a new script because mine was expired, and the pharmacy has to special order it.

sgbl88 responded:
I like Maxair as well, but I didn't know that it was cfc, or I might not have liked it as well (the other CFC inhalers made me sick).

I like that it has a built in spacer. Since I won't use an inhaler without a space, the built in one is inconspicuous in public areas.

I guess I will have to stock up on them though.

Thanks for the awesome info as usual coffee16!!

God bless.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Aqua14 responded:
Have you tried other asthma medications that help with exercise-induced asthma? Singulair and Foradil are supposed to help. Singulair is, of course, a pill, while Foradil is a dry powder inhaler (no propellant involved). Foradil is a long acting bronchodilator but works quite quickly (when I used it, it worked within 15 minutes). Might be worth a try.

Just a thought, hope it helps. Take care. Judy

coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
Sonya, my pharmacy already is having to special order it. I was at my primary and asked him to refill it because all my existing inhalers were expired and I don't see the allergist for another month. The pharmacy called & let me know that they were special order and would take a day or 2 to get. That's what prompted me to research if they were being phased out. Get lots of them!!!! I also have problems with cfc, but for some reason maxair didn't bother me much. I also like the delivery method and don't know what I will have to do if I have to switch to an mdi. I truly wish they would start selling dry powder rescue inhalers here. My exchange student from spain had one, and it looked just like advair. I tried to steal them before she left, haha

sgbl88 replied to coughy16's response:
Thanks coughy16,

I did have mine refilled in January and had no problems getting it that day. I will have it refilled again and as often as I can for awhile.

I don't know about dry powder albuterol. I don't do well with dry powder inhaled steroids. Do you know if the albuterol dry powders have the same side effects as the steroids dry powders.

Thanks,

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

fschris1 replied to sgbl88's response:
The problem is here is the

A) in 2006 I could finish in the top 10% of all triathletes in the USA. I was All-American status.

Then they take away the CFC Inhalers and I slowly decline in 2 years to not being ablr to run 3 miles.

Sine 2006, I have tried everything with NO relief.

Yet there was 20 dollar inhaler that worked. Perfectly.

Max Air is 140-160 retail. It does not even work as well. It is about 50% effective intreating my exercise asthma.

Now, Why does the entire Astma community listen to the people who don't have asthma tell us what works?

We know what worked. They took it away.

I am not some conspiracy nut case. I would give any doctor my triahtlon results then come test me and run with me for 30 minutes.

Take your inhaler

Max Air vs HFA albeuterol and compare the puff that is dispensed.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING FOLKS. We need an advocate with time and MOney to help us fight. But we will need a lot to go against the FDA and big pharma.

They are making tons of money off this new regulation.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center