Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
dry cough.......am I overreacting??
krystine_smith posted:
I am a 30 year old female who has asthma. About a year ago I finally got my asthma under control and it has been pretty good (not needing my inhalers or areosol machine unless sick with a cold/chest infection) on April 4th of this year I was diagnosed with a chest infection, in which the doctor prescibed me Zythromax. I have taken this drug before, and I really like it, because its fast acting, and I find it better than Pennicillian. I have had this couch since the 4th, it will be 2 weeks tomorrow *the 18th* and It seems to be worse at night in which I cough and cough and cough until I almost get sick to my stomach. I end up wheezing from coughing so hard, and not to mention my ribs hurt from all the coughing. Im not bringing up much mucas when I cough, but I can feel almost like that is why I am coughing......almost like a "frog in the throat" so to speak. If I go on my aerosol machine or take my puffer when I get like that it clears the mucas out and I am okay for a while. I try drinking water, and it helps at the time, but then I start coughing again. Its a dry cough/tickle in my throat. I feel fine otherwise......my asthma is better than it has been since the chest infection, and I only need my puffers or aerosol when I start coughing a lot. its getting to be VERY annoying to me, and my boyfriend, he keeps asking me if I can take something for it.....yet cough medicine doesnt seem to help......and Im not even supposed to be taking cough medicine a lot!!! I hope someone can help me. Should I see a Doctor or am I just overreacting????

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

Maybe your asthma hasn't improved as much as you think since the infection. It sounds like you are over the infection, but now are dealing with the asthma flare. I would recommend regular use at maximum dose/frequency of your inhaler for 4 - 5 days. That will frequently knock out a flare pretty quickly.

You should probably see your doctor as well. You may need a burst of prednesone.

Feel better and
God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center