Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question for moms of asthmatic children
hockeymommy2004 posted:
My 8 year old son has taken singulair for 3 years. I have read the side effects & my son has about 6 of them. His moods have changed drastically, he wakes every night, & he has had night terrors in which he has hallucinations, these dont happen every night. I am meeting with his Dr to discuss this. His asthma usually only acts up if he gets a cold. I am just concerned is we stop the singulair after so long, is there anything to use in its place?

ccrain268 responded:
I am in the same position. Does your son take any other allergy or asthma meds? When my son was 4 we started him on singulair and a nebulizer. Now I think the only medicine that hasnt changed is the singulair. That makes me think that there isn't another drug that works like that? IDK really I know that he has gone from the 2 meds in the beginning to about 6 now and between the cortico steroids, singulair and respiradone I cant tell which meds do what. We have been working very closely with his doctors to figure out if there is anything we can cut out also but so far, to no avail. Its frustrating because hes taking meds for behavior issues that could be caused by other medication. So I feel like Im medicating him from the medication! Is there a win at some point. Oh yeah, and his asthma/allergies are still not controlled! My doctor had us titrate off the singulair once for about a month and told us to try claritin. I guess they block different things but we ended back on the singulair.

Helpful Tips

Naturally Manage Asthma
Put two to three drops of pure peppermint oil into a hot steamy rag then cover over your nose and mouth. It definitely helps you breathe ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center