Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
uncontrolled 8 year old
An_245103 posted:
My 8yo son has been diagnosed with moderate persistent asthma and allergies since he was about 4. since then he has gone from 2 to 6 asthma meds. and those have changed at least 4-5 times since we began treatment. He also has Asperberger's and all the behavior/emotional struggles that comes with that. The problem is that he is on two steroids and four other meds that can effect his behavior and body (side effects). We (doctors and I) have recently noticed that he is putting on a fair amount of weight over the last two months, his "crisis" are more voilent, longer, and more frequent, he is not growing at a "normal" rate, and his asthma is still not controlled. I find my self wondering if he will ever be able to go through a day without haveing to stop and sit to collect himself and or catch his breath. Is there a reason that none of the, what seems like 5 million drugs he's on, nothing is helping. I guess thats not entirely true they worked for a couple weeks or maybe a month and then they just start to wear off? Im going crazy because I dont like that my child has to take so many meds especially if those meds are causing more problems. Am I seeking treatment for the right thing. Could he be suffering from something that share similar symptoms to asthma. So frustrated!!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

What kind of a doctor is treating his asthma? Primary car, allergist, or pulmonologist? Is he on immunotherapy allergy shots (as opposed to steroid "allergy" shots)? Has he been tested to see if he would qualify for Xolair? Label use is for 12 and older, but my doctor has gotten a 9 year old on it. If his is much of a fighter, maybe he/she could get your son on it as well.

It might help if you gave a list of his medications so that we could see if there might be a weak area in his treatment... something that might work better or an untreated trigger.

Also, what "life style" changes have been made to avoid trigger exposure to reduce asthma symptoms? Trigger avoidance is the primary treatment for asthma and should be the first thing considered.

Please keep us posted. We would love to help.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
I just wanted to elaborate on what Sonya said about controlling triggers. I had a lot of breathing problems and difficult to control. It got better when I moved out of a highly polluted city. Also, I know a respiratory therapist who treated a patient with asthma. The patient would get stable in the hospital, only to end up back in the hospital shortly after discharge. Finally, they figured out the problem was the patient and her husband were remodeling the house with new furniture, carpets, dust flying around, etc. The patient said it just never occurred to her that could be the problem. The husband then asked the respiratory therapist if he should get his wife a brand new car (that new car smell).

In answer to, "could he be suffering from something that share(s) similar symptoms to asthma?" Unless he's had an exhaustive diagnostic workup, the answer is yes, it's possible. My understanding is that asthma is the most common and most likely issue, though.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center