Skip to content
humorous irony-you just gotta laugh
amcate posted:
I'm simplifying things somewhat and am sacrificing accuracy for brevity. Basically, the insurance denied accessed to National Jewish.

National Jewish said that since I have insurance, but they won't pay, my only option is self pay for $15,000. So, the PCP thought a pulmonolgy consult was in order not only for treatment purposes but to gather more information for insurance purposes.

I just got a letter from National Jewish. It says, "A Very Rare Opportunity to Maximize the Value of Your Gift! See Below...
Dear Friend, Anyone who believes asthma is not a serious, even life-threatening condition, should talk to Margarita Welling. After Margarita slipped into an asthma induced coma, doctors told her family that she would likely die. Before we get into her story, however, I want to tell you about something very exciting that has just happened. National Jewish Health is the grateful recipient of a challenge grants of $250,000 from a generous Foundation benefactor." They then go on to describe a matching gift opportunity (ie, you give $5 and another donor give $5 guaranteed)." So, basically, they were asking me to donate money so people with asthma can go there while I don't have access to any help to get there and can't go myself . I had to laugh, and thought, "hey, I have a grant I'm contributing to in order to help someone with asthma get there-it's my bank account!"

Anyway, I have an odd sense of humor, and just thought it was funny how they said "no, unless it's self pay because we want your insurance to pay", and then they ended up asking me for money for an asthma grant when I can't even afford to go myself.

Anyway, I also thought posting it would be a good way to let you all know of their grant.

sgbl88 responded:
That is ironic.

You should call and ask about the qualifications for receiving a grant for yourself. You may not qualify since you have insurance, but it is worth a try.

Also, you may qualify for another teaching hospital. Maybe you should try to go to University of Texas, Dallas. They have a great program.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi, Sonya:

Actually, the funny thing is when I called I did ask National Jewish if I could apply for a grant or charity help as they do have money for that. A person in my pulmonary support group said that National Jewish will try to help you get there any way they can and has programs to pay part of the bill for you.

When I asked about it, the lady from National Jewish said that since I have insurance I can't get any help from National Jewish financially. She said the insurance needs to pay for it. So, the bottom line with National Jewish is I did try for a grant, but they said I didn't qualify since I have insurance.

The insurance situation is complicated and beyond the scope of the thread, but trust me....when folks try to help I have to go into a long explanation of the insurance situation and then finally the person will say, "well, I don't know".

I just had to laugh when National Jewish said they can not help me with their money, and then sent me a letter to help others get there. Their letter went into a lot of detail of how difficult it can be to be treated for asthma and not have it completely resolved. I thought, "really? I wouldn't have known...I had no idea!" I'm laughing at it all. What else can you do?

Thanks about the information with UT, Dallas. That's where I had the TMJ surgery when they found out unknown to me that my body had launched an attack and destroy mission against it's own joint. That was a funny story-I'm at the dentist one day, and he said, "this doesn't look right", and he started feeling the TMJ and moving around my jaw. He says, "that thing is popping more than fireworks on the fourth of July", then it was off to UT Dallas to get MRIs, and they said the body attack and destroyed the joint and the throat airway was severely restricted, and then next two years for surgery.

I did not know that UT Dallas was good for asthma, though. Thanks for the information.

sgbl88 replied to amcate's response:
Yes, UT Dallas has a very good allergy and asthma department. That is where my allergist went. They did a lot of the research on the "high dose" allergy shots.

Please keep me posted.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate replied to sgbl88's response:
Thanks again for the information, Sonya. I just was not familiar and had never heard anything about their asthma/allergy department. I do know the TMJ surgeon was considering sending me over to "environmental health" which I guess would have looked at environmental factors contributing to lung health. I will keep your information in mind for the future and for now see where the local pulmonologist stuff goes. Thanks your time in reading through my long posts. God bless you as well.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center