Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma an Often Unrecognized Risk for Older People
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I wanted to share this good information on asthma and how it affects adults. For the rest of the article please click here:
Study Shows That Older Adults With Asthma Often Face Serious Health Risks
Symptoms of asthma in adults are the same as in children and include:
  • Shortness of breath
  • Wheezing
  • Persistent cough
  • Chest tightness

2lkittie responded:
I just read this after seeing your post. I had a routine CT scan connected with my regular oncology visit about a year or so ago, and it showed some nodules in my lung, just a couple of tiny ones. It was in a followup exam with a pulmonologist regarding those (he said we'd watch them, they didn't seem to be doing much) that the visit also turned up the possibility that I might have asthma, according to self-reporting on my part. Future followups, and my first bronchoscopy ever seemed to point to exactly that, since I had quit the nasty cigarette habit seven years previously and he said even if it were COPD, it would be really mild after all this time. But I also have a brother, whose asthma has been lifelong--no smoking--and has some asthmatic offspring as well. It just seemed so odd that, after I have epilepsy, cancer, and when I'm what the French call a "woman of a certain age" and a grandma, I get asthma! But hey, there ya go!

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center