Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questions about symbicort
An_245439 posted:
My husband has had some shortness of breath and has been to the ER twice. The second time they prescribed symbicort. He started taking it the next day and says it took 2-3 days before his symptoms cleared up. He continued to take it for another 2 weeks and then decide to stop. He has had some tests, pft and stress test but nothing seems to show up. So not sure what is going on. My questions are: Should he expect symbicort to clear up symptoms of shortness of breath as soon as he takes it? Some things I've read say it works right away, and others say it does not treat sudden symptoms. Also, how long does it last in your system after you discontinue it? Could it prevent symptoms after the 12 hours it is supposed to last? My dh hasn't had any symptoms since he got over that one episode, even after stopping the Meds. He seems to think that means his problem is cleared up. I am concerned that maybe the symbicort was working and now that he is off he may have symptoms again.

bresky responded:
Hi sorry to hear about your husband symptoms, some asthmatics do have normal pft, did they say when he went in what his oxygen levels were or what his chest sounded like, how did they treat it. Does he have increase stress or any troubles with anxiety

Symbicort is a combination medication used as a maintenance inhaler, in Canada it can also be used as a rescue inhaler. It has two nedications in it a bronchodilator and and anti inflammatory medication, the bronchodilator will be medication that works promptly and usually u do notice effects right away ( I use it also as a rescue inhaler if ny ventolin isn't helping and i notice relief in about 5 min) the anti inflammatory part of the medication can take up to about two weeks to build in ur body to take down most of the inflammation in the lungs

I tried to see if i can find any information on going off of it, the only thing will it will take a bit for some of the inflammation to build back up especially if he stays away from things that trigger his asthma

bresky replied to bresky's response:
Sorry I accidentally hit the reply button, (been taking too much ventolin hard to think straight) it's hard to saybut I would say it could take up to maybe 48hours to a week to get it all out of his blood stream, how long has he been off it, did they give him a rescue inhaler like ventolin to use if his shortness of breath returns, if he does have asthma the symptoms will be back unfortunately as it is a chronic disease I hope this has helped somewhat please let me know if you have anymore questions

Bre

tigerca replied to bresky's response:
We didn't get a real reading of the results. The 2nd time he went in the ER, the doctor there said that the pft was "slightly below normal", and then when he had the stress test the doctor there said the pft showed "nothing significant", and also that the stress test was "above average". We're waiting on an appointment with a physician's assistant next week. Hoping for clearer answers then.
As for stress/anxiety, didn't see any of that.
Like I said, when he started symbicort he had symptoms starting the day before. They started at work and he says that once he leaves work it gets better. But then when explaining why he stopped his meds, he says that the symptoms lasted from the Thursday through to the end of the weekend. So it's hard to say what his symptoms were like and how much it helped or not.
As for staying away from things that trigger his (don't know diagnosis yet), the day after he stopped symbicort he went back to work in the stuff he says caused his last set of symptoms. So, if there is a problem we should soon see. So far no complaints, but like you said it will take time for the inflammation to build back up.

He took his last dose Tues morning. It's now Fri morning. He did not get a rescue inhaler, which even the lady performing the stress test said was weird. He was prescribed the symbicort by the second ER doc he saw. The same doc that said his pft was "slightly below normal". He went off the symbicort on his own.
We've really gotten no answers as to what they think is going on. When he had his stress test, the lady performing the test said she didn't know what the next step would be.

bresky replied to tigerca's response:
Hey sorry took awhile to reply how is he doing now, I wonder if there is maybe something at work that triggers it if he gets better being away from work, hopefully the physicians assistant will give u some answers Bre

He hasn't complained about any symptoms so far. Here's hoping it was just a few isolated problems.

So we saw the physician's assistant yesterday. He thinks that maybe it was an infection that either was bacterial and did not clear up with the antibiotics or viral. His conclusion is based on the fact that he has had no symptoms for a few weeks now and both his pft and stress test were fine. However, there was something on his cxr that the radiologist described as benign granuloma. The PA said that he would order a ct to ensure that it is truly granuloma. He feels that it probably is and that everything is good. Here is hoping the ct shows benign granuloma, or maybe even that it's all cleared up.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center