Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone taking ALVESCO!! Switched to it, but i'm afraid!!
nicatl posted:
My dr. recently decided to have me stop taking Asmanex which i had been taking for over 5yrs. I guess he feels my PFT's arent where he would like them. So he has given me ALVESCO to try. I have never heard of it and kinda would like some response from someone who might be taking it and how they feel about it and if they were taken off another med and put on ALVESCO and it has help their asthma ALOT. Any repsonse is so appreciated. I haven't started using it yet!!! so help me out here!! thanks so much.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
I used Alvesco for a while to bump my ICS up when I got sick. It is good because it has smaller particles that can get down deeper into the lungs and work better.

Asmanex is a dry powder that some people find irritating. I am using Asmanex now, but I think that is because Dulera is my maintenance med which uses Asmanex as the ICS component. I would prefer the Alvesco though. I don't care for dry powders at all.

My two cents.

Take care and
God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

nicatl replied to sgbl88's response:
hi.
thanks for your response. You would think your Dr. would have kepted you on Alesco if it were that good. I have pretty mild asthma but lately i've been having to use my neb almost everyday. Its very frustrating for sure. I liked Asmanex but it gave me major thrush. Even after i brushed my teeth and all. Anyway he thinks that i will really benefit from the Alesco. He also said its effects of thrush are not nearly as bad as Asmanex. Like i said,,,,i had never even heard about Alesco until he brought it out. Thanks again and if i can help with any questions just give me shout back. BTW,,,how many times aday were u using the Alesco?? Did u have any side effects from it? Once again thanks for the response. Nicki

sgbl88 replied to nicatl's response:
I would prefer the Alvesco, but I believe that my doctor chose Asmanex for me now because Dulera is working very well for me. Dulera contains the same ICS as Asmanex.

Dry powder inhalers do cause more thrush than other inhalers.

If you continue to have issues, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching toa combination medication like Dulera, Symbicort or Advair. You may need a LABA for a while.

I only used Alvesco as a bump up med when I went into a flare. It was not a regular medicaion for me.

God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center