Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Acid Reflux and Asthma? Wonder Drug for it!!
nicatl posted:
I for sure already know that my asthma gets worse with my acid reflux. Question for anyone out there is,,,which acid reflux meds do you find work best. I know everyone is different and we all have our differences,,but,,i had been taking Nexium like forever. Well i had an endoscopy and he said my reflux was pretty bad, so he switched me to Dexilant. WOW!! What a difference. It is different in that,,you can eat when you take it. Not having to wait an hour before you eat. Plus it releases the meds again in about 5hrs during the day. It has been a little wonder drug. And yes,,my insurance wouldn't cover it at first, but when i got my dr. to release information to my insurance company that i had asthma and i needed this medicine my insurance started covering it. Anyway,,i was just wondering if anyone else out there using Dexilant and if they have had a GREAT experience with it.....Thanks all

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

I take Dexilant as well. It is great. The best thing I have found for me though is a very good pro-biotic. As asthmatics we can be on antibiotics frequently. Antibiotics kill the necessary digestive bacteria that naturally reduces reflux. Replacing the good bacteria is extremely beneficial. Digestive enzymes are also beneficial.

I take Solaray Multidolphalus-12 (20 billion) probiotic and Ultra-Zyme digestive enzymes. Life style changes are also essential for real control of reflux.

Note: Many asthmatics have reflux issues that are exacerbated by asthma meds. It can be a vicious circle to keep both well controlled.

Take care and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
All I can tell you is I was on Nexium, but it didn't do very much. I don't have much reflux, very mild, so they took me off since there was no sense in taking something that wasn't making a big difference. They didn't replace it with anything, with the reflux being so mild.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center