Skip to content
Will pretreating everyday for EIA hurt!!
nicatl posted:
hi
My asthma is pretty well controlled but i have to pretreat using my nebulizer everyday when i exercise. An asthma dr. that i was seeing (not seeing him now) told me that if i use my neb or rescue inhaler everyday that at some point i might become tolerent to it and one day it might not work. I have never heard that. I know of many top atheletes that have asthma and i'm sure they have to pretreat. Has anyone ever heard that using your nebulizer or rescue inhaler everyday will inventually cause it to stop working!!! Its kinda scary to think that but i love to exercise and i have EIA and need to pretreat. Any and all replies are appreciated.

abbymay16 responded:
Pre-treating with albuterol, or even daily use of albuterol may make you less sensitive to the helpful affects of the medication over time, but many athletes have no issues with this at all.

Since you have exercise induced asthma and you are just pre-treating I would ask have you noticed the albuterol becoming less effective?? If not it sounds like you will be fine. If you notice that the pre-treatments don't seem to be working as well, then it would be time to talk to your doctor.

Mattie

Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto

(live well, love much, laugh often)

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center