Skip to content
Military member with environmentally induced asthma.
MueMue90 posted:
I am deployed in Kuwait and have been diagnosed with environmentally induced asthma from the sand and dust. I have very mild asthma back home, but I don't use medication for it. I have had two asthma attacks since I've been here and have been put on Advair twice a day. Also, I currently have a profile so I don't have to run. I go on leave for two weeks and we are considering taking my APFT (run) test after I'm back home for a few days. My question is, is it even possible for me to recover in just a few days in a new environment or should I wait it out until I'm home for a few months before attempting this test?

amcate responded:
Thank you for your service. I don't know what the run test is. If you are asking how long it takes for asthma to change when you change environments, I know for myself that a few days in a new place is not long enough for the asthma to change. It normally takes a few months for my lungs to fully respond. I don't know if this answers your question, and I don't know if it's different for other people.

abbymay16 replied to amcate's response:
I agree, a few days in a new environment is not likely going to make a big difference. The sand/dust is an irritant and once you get respiratory tissue irritated it can take a long stretch to get things to settle down. Rather than a run could they have you do something like a stationary bike....it would still get your heart rate up but wouldn't alter your breathing patterns and risk an attack as much? I know the military used to allow these. Might be worth asking about.

Thanks for your service to our country !!

Mattie

Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto

(live well, love much, laugh often)

MueMue90 responded:
It helps, thank you.

MueMue90 replied to abbymay16's response:
They do but I can't take a record test with out running to get my promotion and my reward. Thank you for the input though! I just wanted more insight I guess.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center