Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I can only use ALVESCO in the morning but NOT at night, WHY???
nicatl posted:
I know this sounds strange but,,,my dr. changed me from asmanex to Alvesco awhile back. I have no problem using Alvesco in the morning. 2puffs in the am. But if i take 2puffs in the evening, for some reason it causes me to cough and keeps me awake and i finally end up using my neb to quiet it down. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?/ I just don't understand!! Maybe all i need is those puffs in the morning. I only have mild asthma so i dont know why it does this to me at night. Does anyone else have this problem with Alvesco or with any of your ICS!! Any help is appreciated. Cos i would really like to stop using it at night. I use to only use my asmanex in the morning. But then someone told me that you were suppose to use asmanex at night. What to do, what to do. Thanks

Aqua14 responded:
First, it's a good idea to tell your doctor about this occuring to you, and to ask what time of day you should take your Alvesco. Follow what your doctor says, not what random people tell you to do. (FYI when I took Asmanex some years ago, I took it in the morning per my allergist's recommendation, so there is no rule you're "supposed" to use Asmanex at night.)

Second, it's possible that your lungs are more "twitchy" at night. It may be because after a day of exposure to your allergens they are more sensitive. It may be that you have undiagnosed acid reflux that is inflaming your lungs and that crops up after dinner. It may just be your body's circadian rhythms (cortisol is lower at night). So, if your lungs are more twitchy and sensitive at night, that would explain why taking Alvesco at night would bring on a coughing fit while that doesn't happen in the morning.

Maybe your doctor will let you skip the nighttime dose. Or maybe he/she will tell you to use your albuterol inhaler first, to ward off the coughing.

Again, your best bet is to revisit your doctor and let him/her know how you're doing on the Alvesco and to answer all your questions.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center